Industry certification, Employment, Measurable skills gain
Method of Delivery
Hybrid or blended
Instructional Program (CIP)
Kitchen Personnel/Cook and Assistant Training. The Culinary School at the Food Bank of Delaware is a 14 week program that prepares individuals for entry level positions in the food service industry.
The program consists of 35 hours per week of training in three major learning disciplines:
1. Culinary arts: (21.25 hours per week) Includes 10 hours in the classroom learning culinary fundamentals and 11.25 hours per week of hands on cooking skills taught by the Chef Instructor.
2. ServSafe Safe Food Handling: (5 hours per week) A food safety course developed by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation, taught by the Chef Instructor, concluding with a proctored, nationally recognized exam.
3. Life skills: (5 Hours per week) Instruction by the Programs Manager in the skills required to obtain and maintain employment.
1. Be 18 years of age with a High School or GED diploma.
2. Reading and math skills at a 8th grade level
3. Not be a danger to self or others.
4. Have a strong desire to progress in a food service career.
5. Be able to lift 40 pounds and stand up to 6 hours daily with or without a reasonable accommodation.
6. Able to attend all classes.
Admission requirements for the handicapped:
No qualified person shall be denied admission, graduation, supportive services or any other rights or privileges of the school due to handicap.
Upon individual circumstance of the handicap, the school (if financially capable) will make general accommodations. The entire school is on one floor and is wheelchair accessible.
Program Length (Weeks)
WIOA Approved Program
222 Lake Dr
1 - Statewide
Type of Attainment:
Name of Credential
ServSafe Manager Certification
Type of financial aid offered or have access to
Delaware WONDER, OOSY, Scholarship Funding
Refunds are calculated in accordance with the DE State Refund Policy. Official withdraws must be dated, in writing, and presented to the Program Director. A $100 tuition fee will be retained. A refund of the remaining tuition will be returned to the funding source within 30 days of the Operations Director receiving the written request. 80% refunded after 0.01%. 5to 9.9%=70%. 10 to 14.9%=60%; 15 to 24.9%=55%. 25 to 49.9%=30%. After 50%, there will be 0 refunded.
Is the proposed curriculum currently certified by an accrediting agency or similar national standardization program?
Yes - Delaware Department of Education
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for women?
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for men?
$184.00 ServSafe Textbook, Culinary Professional Textbook
$53.00 Drug Test
$192.00 Chef coats, Pants, hat, slip resistant shoes
Supplies/Materials/Hand Tools (not included in tuition)
$426.00 PPE, Food for Training, knives, guards, gloves
Total In-State Program Cost