at Department of Labor in Wilmington, Delaware, United States
The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation is seeking a Pre-Employment Career Counselor to work with students and schools, interested in learning and infusing the 5 pre-employment transition services. The candidate will plan and implement a wide range of activities designed to provide vocational rehabilitation services to students and youth with disabilities, that helps them become competitively employed in a community-integrated setting.
The five core services consist of: (1) job exploration counseling, (2) work-based learning experiences, (3) counseling on opportunities for enrollment in post-secondary education programs, (4) workplace readiness training, and (5) instruction in self-advocacy.
The counselor shall collaborate with the school officials to (1) determine the pre-employment transition service(s) needed, (2) develop a schedule of times to present to students, (3) gather materials to develop curriculum to be presented, (4) document interactions of students daily in the case management system.
The individual in this position reports to the Sussex & Kent Counties Transition Coordinator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Counselor will be responsible for onboarding and determining eligibility for students to participate in the Pre-Employment Transition Services
· Counselor will meet with students individually and in groups to discuss their vocational interests and tailor services and activities based on those discussions
· Counselor will conduct interest inventories individually and in groups to help student(s) determine what career pathways to explore
· Counselor will examine labor market research and provide information to student(s) individually and in group settings on the different types of career pathways they are interested in
· Counselor will ensure students have opportunities to participate in job shadows, work experiences, and other types of work-based learning.
· Counselor will ensure students are provided information, counseling, and guidance on a wide variety of transition and post-secondary programs.
· Counselor will provide students with opportunities to foster self-advocacy and develop:
o Knowledge of self
o Knowledge of rights and responsibilities
o Communication skills
o Leadership skills
· Counselor will provide comprehensive workplace readiness training individually and in groups to improve and enhance students vocational skills
Serves as liaison with Local Education Agencies regarding referrals and provide technical assistance as it relates to Pre-Employment Transition Services. Counselor will work collaboratively with the DVR Transition Counselor, DVR vendors, and educational programs.