at New Castle County Government in New Castle, Delaware, United States
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Manages, directs and coordinates the delivery of Land Use Department services to internal and external customers; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs a variety of managerial, administrative, supervisory, and technical work as required to deliver the highest quality of Land Use services to external and internal customers. Land Use services are varied and include customer relations and assistance, case management, property maintenance abatement, complaints resolution, inquiries/requests for information, policies and procedures, identifying, recommending and implementing technology and process improvements, and program management. This employee must have the technical knowledge of the functions of the department as well as excellent management skills. In addition, this employee exercises judgment and works with considerable independence of action in interpreting and applying laws, regulations, policies, and procedures. This employee works under the general direction of a Land Use Administrator.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
• Assists in the direction and management of the delivery of all services provided by the Department of Land Use;
• Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
• Works across department, division, and agency lines in solving problems and issues;
• Troubleshoots issues and problems and brings resolution within a timely manner;
• Identifies opportunities for efficiency improvements, develops and implements related procedures;
• Manages and oversees all of the customer service and support staff functions of the Department of Land Use;
• Manages and oversees case management for the department;
• Manages department programs such as Civil Penalty, Problem Property, Vacant Property and Rental Code;
• Supervises staff, makes work assignments, approves leave requests and evaluates performance;
• Trains customer service, technical, and support staff to insure accuracy, quality, and efficiency;
• Recommends appropriate progressive discipline as necessary;
• Develops procedures and standards for consistency within the department;
• Develops and conducts training classes as necessary;
• Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of the principles and practices of management and of the services provided by the Department of Land Use; good knowledge and understanding of the laws, regulations and procedures relating to the Department of Land Use; ability to make sound decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, policies, and procedures; ability to recognize and implement operational efficiencies; ability to manage various land use programs; ability to establish quality control programs to ensure excellent customer service; ability to plan, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate the work of technical and support staff; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with outside agencies, legal representatives, professionals, the general public and other employees; ability to conduct research and to prepare related reports; willingness to perform a variety of assigned tasks to ensure that internal and external customers are provided with the highest quality of service.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least three (3) years of supervisory experience in customer service work in a local government, state or regional land use office, and possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, or related field; or an equivalent combination of experience, education or training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and background check.
Office of Human Resources