at Sallie Mae in Newark, Delaware, United States
Senior Technical Cloud Engineer
Newark – Continental, DE
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine-whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills-you’re in the right place.
What You’ll Contribute
Key technology leader in the team that enables IT and Business partners to leverage AWS Cloud to the best possible extent with ease, security and stability. Play with advanced cloud technologies to provide scalable and sophisticated solutions aimed to make business and IT operations robust. Design, develop, implement and present secure advanced web-based solutions that will inter operate with various technologies that enable cloud implementation and management according to Sallie Mae standards. This position will play a key role for translating sophisticated architecture defined by the Sallie Mae Cloud advisory group into scalable and functional solutions. The Architect will work on strategic initiatives as it relates to advanced Cloud technologies, advanced technology techniques and processes, be a change agent for Sallie Mae and help us transform to Cloud Native applications across all product lines and other key initiatives. Enthusiastic about exploring uncharted territories, the candidate must bring an entrepreneurial spirit, and a willingness to challenge status quo and group-think.
What You’ll Do
% of Time Spent
• Enterprise Solutions
· Works across the enterprise representing cloud architecture on key initiatives. Sample may be Cloud Native initiatives, Credit Card initiatives. These are just samples; the SA will be involved in key initiatives.
• Technical Work
· Develops technical solutions that are deemed strategic in nature.
• Enterprise Architecture
· Be a technical leader amongst all architects in the enterprise. Help lead and mentor architects and other technical resources.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job; it is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in this role.
What You Need to Succeed
Being focused on our customer helps us to deliver a lasting impression and instill trust. Through collaboration and teamwork, we are able to communicate effectively across departments leading to better decision quality. We hold ourselves to the highest standards ensuring accountability in all we do to deliver on our mission and shared values.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• 8+ years of overall experience in high-performing IT organizations. The candidate should demonstrate affinity to take on roles of increasing responsibility and influence.
• 6 – 8 years of experience years of architecture, design, implementation, and/or support of highly distributed applications with architectural responsibility for ensuring scalability, availability, reliability, etc.
• 3 – 5 years working at an enterprise level on key strategic corporate initiatives with broad impact to company results
• Delivered key application architectures into production which were strategic in nature to the company at the time.
• Significant experience designing, implementing, and supporting large-scale data solutions leveraging cloud infrastructure and services
• Extensive programming experience multiple scripting and programming languages such as Java, Python, R, Ruby, Go, bash, etc.
• Knowledge of Network technologies
• Practical development and automation experience
• Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly
• Proven ability to apply new technologies to strategic business initiatives
• Understanding of Cloud cost model(s) and cost-conscious design principles• Ability to create clear and detailed technical diagrams and documentation.
• Ability to implement alongside the other engineers being coached and developed
• Experience developing and maintaining global data privacy and security architectures a plus• Agile development experience
• Accountability – Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Collaboration – Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communication – Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Customer focus – Build strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
• Decision quality – Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Instill trust – Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Preferred: Indicate “nice to haves” regarding education, skills, and experience.
• Experience with AWS native cloud components
• Experience with Azure native cloud components
• Broad range of programming languages.
• Experience with big data
• Experience working at a Software company
• Experience in the financial services sector
The Americans with Disabilities Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination by employers, in compensation and employment opportunities, against qualified individuals with disabilities who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the “essential functions” of a job. A function may be essential for any of several reasons, including: the job exists to perform that function, the employee holding the job was hired for his/her expertise in performing the function, or only a limited number of employees are available to perform that function.
What You’ll Get at Sallie Mae:
+ Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
+ Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
+ Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
+ Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.