at Westside Family Healthcare in Bear, Delaware, United States
Community Navigators remove barriers to healthcare by connecting uninsured people, who reside in Delaware (consumers), to programs that make healthcare more affordable. They work in the community to provide education about affordable health care coverage options through one-on-one interactions and outreach events, and provide assistance with the application and enrollment process for State and Federal insurance affordability programs. These programs include Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Health Insurance Marketplace (Marketplace), Health Care Connection (HCC), and Screening for Life (SFL). Community Navigators are also responsible for connecting members of the community to a medical home. Strong organizational skills are required.
- Successfully complete online Navigator certification during the initial training period, and maintain annually thereafter.
- Continuously comply with all required Navigator duties as outlined by CMS.
- Protect personally identifiable information (PII) to ensure that confidentiality is maintained in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Develop an individual work plan that outlines personal outreach activity and enrollment goals. Prepare checklists that assist you to reach these goals.
- Establish a professional relationship and work cooperatively with community partners. Identify opportunities to create a referral system with them.
- Conduct health insurance literacy education/presentations and sessions regarding the importance of primary and preventative care at community-based organization events and during one-on-one interactions with consumers. Distribute written educational materials at outreach events and other public locations.
- Assist Delaware residents with the completion of applications for Marketplace, Medicaid, HCC and SFL, as applicable.
- Complete timely, detailed reports for all consumer activities and outreach events.
- Develop extensive knowledge of health care resources available in the community.
- Attend all required meetings and trainings.