at New Castle County Government in New Castle, Delaware, United States
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs general duty police work in the protection of life and property throughout the County; prevents violation of statutes and ordinances; investigates and suppresses disturbances; investigates complaints; makes arrests and issues summonses when appropriate; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs work consisting of varied police assignments. Usually a Police Officer is assigned to a patrol platoon or other police unit and conducts investigations as directed by a superior officer; performs routine preliminary investigations and miscellaneous duties performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations, directives and Delaware law. This employee is required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Enforces State laws and County regulations;
- Patrols an assigned area during a specific period in motorized police equipment;
- Checks doors and windows and examines premises of unoccupied buildings or residences in order to detect suspicious conditions;
- Subdues combatants and arrests dangerous criminals;
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints and makes arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances;
- Accompanies prisoners to headquarters, jail, or court and appears in court as arresting officer;
- Directs traffic and either arrests or gives violation tickets to those who break traffic laws;
- Attends fires or accidents in assigned area as directed, giving all possible assistance and preparing necessary reports from investigations made;
- Maintains order in crowds and attends parades and other public gatherings;
- Watches for stolen cars and wanted or missing persons;
- Makes investigations and enforces County and State laws pertaining to juvenile offenders;
- Gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public;
- Operates radio patrol car or patrol wagon as required;
- Operates radar unit for traffic control;
- Serves subpoenas and executes warrants issued by the courts of New Castle County;
- Provides escort service for public dignitaries, funerals, oversize vehicles, and explosive vehicles;
- Transports prisoners to specified destinations;
- Assists motorists whose vehicles are broken down or stranded;
- Acts for Police Sergeant in his or her absence as directed;
- Makes special investigations as directed in plain clothes;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
Human Resources Technician
Position #1150-SEPT 2021