at Lumen in Dover, Delaware, United States
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Senior Planning Engineer is a full-time, individual contributor who is part of the Edge Planning team in Lumen’s North American Operations group. The Planner is responsible for strategic, analytical, and modeling operations supporting the overall design, cost, and inventory of Lumen equipment by creating and supporting reliable networks that meet Lumen’s infrastructure and product SLA (service level agreement) targets. Additionally, the Planner is responsible for modeling, analyzing, collecting, and preparing data sets and forecasting trends; and creating tools and automation to better monitor and forecast network information.
The Main Responsibilities
- Model, compile, analyze, plan and/or implement network designs that encompass additions, rearrangements, and removal of facilities as driven by customer contracts, capacity needs, cost transformation and/or network reliability activities.
- Model and/or forecast multiple data points including modeling data for ad hoc and pre-built reporting, develop forecast/utilization trends, find trends in large datasets, and then work independently, as well as in tandem with other teams, to act on the data, as required.
- Interface with other teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources to support analysis and reporting including identify data integrity issues and develop programmatic solutions to improve data integrity.
- Individually, and/or in collaboration with others, identify, document, define requirements, develop business cases, prioritize, test, and implement automation improvement opportunities including script, report, database and/or tool development or enhancements.
- Resolve complex problems within budget parameters for projects with longer term schedules following standard practices, broad application of engineering and network principles, theories, concepts, and related technology while complying with defined policies, guidelines, and standards.
- Strong knowledge of network processes, including interdepartmental handoffs and activities. Participate in the creation of new processes and procedures by providing input instrumental for definition, evaluation, and implementation.
- Recognized as a leader by peers and management in multiple areas and acts as a technical resource or subject matter expert (SME) for the group and other departments.
- Work with the product and architecture groups to provide technical input in the definition, evaluation, and implementation of new technologies in the network.
- Create and/or contribute to the development and delivery of technical and process training.
- Lead and/or participate in both strategic and tactical planning discussions.
- Collaborate with vendors on network deployment, reliability, and cost containment.
- Mentor and guide the work activities of lower-level planning engineers within or outside the department, taking accountability for their work performance and quality.
- May be required to assist in the distribution and assignment of work. May act as in charge for management.
- Higher level project management, engineering, and leadership skills required.
The Lead Planning Engineer is a strong, self-motivated individual with the ability to negotiate and communicate professionally, with all levels of leadership, in a dynamic and fast paced environment while maintaining the highest level of integrity and work quality.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Advanced knowledge of multiple technology domains.
- Expert understanding of internal and external technical publications and Telcordia standards.
- Expert knowledge of system tools and applications utilized within Lumen, and their inter-dependencies.
- Expert knowledge of planning methods and procedures, installation practices, telecom architectures, network processes including interdepartmental handoffs, activities, and service level agreements (SLA’s).
- Relevant work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field.
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tool(s) to extract data, formulate metrics and build, or support the building of, reports.
- Passionate about modeling and analysis.
- Able to prioritize and complete assignments on time.
- Must be highly self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Computer skills sufficient to work in a progressively paperless environment.
- Experience in software programming (i.e., writing scripts, report and database development and coding) is a plus.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office software applications (i.e., Word, Access, etc.) and intermediate Excel expertise (VBA [Visual Basic for Applications], macro coding, and comprehensive pivot table experience).
Master’s degree or equivalent education and experience and/or industry technical certifications. 10+ years of related experience and/or education background.
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 257073
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. (https://jobs.lumen.com/global/en/compensaTo view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account