at Sallie Mae in Newark, Delaware, United States
Internal Audit, Lead Data Analyst
Newark – Continental, DE
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine-whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills-you’re in the right place.
What You’ll Contribute
Sallie Mae’s Internal Auditing (IA) department works to promote an effective control environment through risk-based audits, internal controls testing, pre-implementation reviews, special projects, and risk and control education. To promote a strong risk and control environment, IA applies data analytics to its audits and reviews. Providing data solutions requires defining the business problem/risk statement, gathering the business intelligence/data, and making informed conclusion through the use analytical tools and methodologies available.
The IA Lead Data Analyst will 1) be responsible for managing data and analytics work across multiple audits and special projects 2) Ensure all the analytic requests are accurate, complete, presented in a timely fashion and adequately documented by assigned analysts 3) Prioritize analytic work based on availability of resources and audit needs 4) Track and report progress against priorities, budget, and internal audit plan 5) Identify, communicate, and escalate obstacles that may delay progress and 6) Clearly and confidently communicate data analytics results to audit team and to management as required. 7) Support the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of continuous auditing reports and dashboards.
What You’ll Do
% of Time Spent
• Support data analytics needs on various operational, financial, regulatory, and technology Internal Audits.
· Accountable for planning and carrying out development of new analytics to support audits
· Maintains the existing library of analytics and leverage it on planned audits with the assistance of data analysts.
· Leads execution of DA work on all audits and provide status on the requests across all ongoing audits
· Ensures time is recorded accurately and report any project overruns (actual or potential) to the Audit Manager.
· Demonstrates practical understanding of data analysis concepts and basic programming techniques. Provide technical expertise on data mapping, data extraction, data cleansing, data mining and analysis.
· Develops new BI solutions and maintain existing solutions to support data extraction and analysis (for end users).
· Works closely with members of audit teams to obtain requirements, understand business processes, understand data flow and lineage.
· Conducts interviews and inquiries with auditees to understand business processes, technology and data to support audit scope and objectives.
· Proactively holds discussions with the audit manager and DA manager to brainstorm on the complex analysis, develop the logic and script/code, discuss limitations and any potential issues.
· Communicates observations, anamolies, data insights and potential issues effecitvely and timely to the audit team.
· Provides quality service to stakeholders, which includes obtaining and demonstrating a strong understanding of the business process and the associated data.
• Oversee the efforts of analysts and assist in the development of their skill sets:
· Works in a highly collaborative environment while supporting and mentoring analysts by providing feedback throughout the audit and special projects.
· Obtains status, identify challenges, and work closely to deliver analysis in a timely manner
· Leads efforts to educate/train the IA Data Analyst and other IA team members on the effective use of Data Analytic tools and techniques
• Assist in supporting DA strategy, continuous auditing efforts as well as risk assessment related activities
· Assists with existing and new initiatives related to DA strategy and automation
· Develops new trainings and conduct existing trainings on a regular basis to encourage and facilitate widespread use of analytics within the audit team.
• Serve as the resident expert and liaison to all others serving in DA function
· Maintains knowledge of best practices by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, performing benchmarking, maintaining networks and participating in professional organizations.
· Collaborates with various DA teams (internal) to promote knowledge sharing and integrity of source data.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Undergraduate or Graduate degree is required in one of the preferred areas of study Technology, Data Science, Mathematics, Accounting, Information Systems or Finance
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in performing analysis on large data sets (including data gathering and profiling, data mapping, data mining, test data creation, data validation, anomaly detection, code/script validation and visualization)
• 5+ years of experience using at least 2 tools (SAS, Python, R, SQL) to perform complex data analysis and at least 1 tool (Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik) to develop visual analytics.
• 3+ years of experience in banking, financial services, or student loan industry
• 3+ years of Project Management experience
• 2+ years of supervisory experience
• Audit experience preferred or equivalent experience working closely with or within compliance/audit functions.
• Experience with one or more RPA technologies (e.g. UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism).
• Familiar with data science, predictive analytics and AI/machine learning concepts
• Understanding of the audit function – understands audit methodology, audit procedures, internal controls, risk management, auditing standards
• Demonstrated experience working on multiple projects, is self-motivated, takes initiative, and able to function independently as required. Has a passion for learning and can work effectively in a nimble environment.
• Proven success in executing in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to effectively collaborate with cross functional teams across all levels of the IA team
• Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to establish trust, collaborate, and effectively prepare verbal & written work products to communicate results.
• Advanced presentation skills with ability to communicate results of analytics to non-technical audience and / or management
• Capable of being objective and giving/taking constructive feedback
• Ability to understand complex and diverse technology infrastructure as it relates to data flows and business processes
• Demonstrated ability to think critically, evaluate, interpret, and summarize information. Strong technical skills to recognize trends, draw conclusions, and problem-solve
• Demonstrates strong ethics and integrity to safeguard data.
Preferred: Indicate “nice to haves” regarding education, skills, and experience.
• Relevant certification (e.g.,CISA or any programming certification or completion of online course).
What You’ll Get at Sallie Mae:
+ Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
+ Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
+ Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account