at University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, United States
Job DescriptionUniversity of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 497159
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Athletics, Full Time
Pay Grade: 28E
Context of the Job:
Under the general direction of the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Student Services and Leadership, the Assistant Director for Student Athlete Success and Leadership Development will be a critical member of the Athletics' Student Success team, ensuring integration across academics, career, leadership, and sports performance areas in support of our 600+ Blue Hen student-athletes. The incumbent has responsibility for the programmatic and administrative management of a dynamic, innovative, and growing leadership development and community service program for our 21 NCAA Division I varsity athletics programs.
Working in collaboration with the Division of Student Life, Athletics Leadership Team, coaches, and other campus partners, the Assistant Director will lead the creation, execution, and metrics of success for some programming and leadership experiences for our varsity student-athletes, spirit team members, and club sports officers. This includes but is not limited to leadership development, community service, career readiness, life skills, diversity and inclusion, and health and wellness. In other areas, the incumbent will serve in a supporting role, as a thought and strategy partner, as well as coordinating logistics for various programming and initiatives in collaboration with the Senior Associate AD and Assistant Director for Employer Relations. The Assistant Director will also serve as secondary advisor for the student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), and will advise various SAAC subcommittees (DEI, APPLE). The position also serves on various departmental and institutional committees and represents DIARS at departmental and UD events.
The Assistant Director is responsible for fostering a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness throughout all levels of the organization, including but not limited to, staffing, programming, and education.
Leadership Development - program development and execution 60%
- Creation of Leadership Development strategy for coaches and student-athletes
- Facilitation of both formal and informal needs analysis to identify areas of need for programs, coaches, student-athletes, and support areas
- Creation and Implementation of Leadership Development menu of resources
- Team Building Sessions and associated preparation and planning with coaches and/or sport performance team, sport administrator(s)
- Captain/Leadership Council training development and implementation
- Culture Development strategy sessions with Coaches
- One-on-one character enhancement sessions with student-athletes
- Pursue facilitation training specific to various industry-leading assessments and leadership development training systems
- Ongoing evaluation and assessment of programming and impact
- Ongoing research related to leadership and character skills/competencies, student development, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status