at University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, United States
Job DescriptionUniversity of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 497173
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 29E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under general direction of the Director of Conference and the Senior Event Manager, the Events Manager coordinates, plans, organizes and designs 60 to 75 conferences, meetings, and events at the University Conference Center in Newark per year, as well as at University student centers, performance halls, and academic buildings on UD Newark Campus, when not in use for academic purposes. Works with conference groups both internal and external to the University, to arrange for meeting rooms, room set-ups, food service, audio-visual equipment and overnight accommodations. Responsibilities include developing conference plans, advising groups on appropriate conference arrangements, planning and coordinating the conference or event, preparing final conference invoice, and following up with client after their event to cultivate long-term relationships. Oversees events in the absence of Senior Event Manager and ensures client satisfaction. Acts as a secondary supervisor for set up crew in the absence of Service Supervisor, assigns room set-up and answers questions as needed. The Manager is expected to project a favorable image of the University of Delaware to promote recognition of its facilities.
- Coordinate, manage, execute and oversee events and conferences at University conference centers for both internal and external clients.
- Oversees registration, menu design, audio visual needs, special activities, housing, and transportation. Communicate with clients, compiles and organizes pertinent information utilizing conference database, interacting with other departments and service providers as needed.
- Creates timelines and follows up on all details. Promotes customer satisfaction, follows up on booked business, ensures client expectations are met, addresses customer service issues and promotes repeat business.
- Develop budgets, writes proposal and Banquet Event Orders, ensuring maximum profitability for each event.
- Prepares a statement of expenses, initiates and oversees billing process for each event.
- Ensures that contracted services are delivered.
- Supervise audio visual staff, student workers, set up crews during events and conferences. Evaluate current workflow procedures and problem solves with co-workers and other departments.
- Participate in periodic sales and customer service training.
- Promote customer satisfaction by greeting clients, responding to special requests, providing them with necessary materials and services and by remaining accessible to the client throughout the function.
- Provide set-up crews, catering staff and housekeeping staff members with client complete agenda prior to each event so that miscommunications are eliminated.
- Monitor all functions. Provide operation assistance to the Managers and direction to catering staff and set-up crews (student and miscellaneous wage employees).
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status