at University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, United States
Job DescriptionUniversity of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 497076
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 29E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Department Chair of Hospitality & Sport Business Management (with input from the Senior Assistant Dean, Student Services), the Academic Advisor II is responsible for providing academic advising services to freshman through senior level Hospitality Industry Management and Hospitality Business Management majors in the Department of Hospitality & Sport Business Management of the Lerner College of Business & Economics. This position will provide quality undergraduate student advising that includes assistance in administrative processes such as course registration and senior checkout. Knowledge of curriculum options, degree requirements, academic policies and procedures for advisement of students in the designated majors (HSIM/HSBM) and all minors housed in the Department of Hospitality & Sport Business Management is necessary. The position will assist with student programming, related undergraduate student activities and orientation sessions as necessary. The Academic Advisor II helps in the development of programs and events for prospective students and supports programs and University-wide initiatives for entering freshmen and transfer students. In addition, the advisor will assist in College honors events and convocation ceremonies.
- Provide student advisement for current Hospitality Industry Management and Hospitality Business Management majors in the Department of Hospitality & Sport Business Management majors and minors, prospective students interested in those programs, and transfer students. Disseminate information on academic policy and curricular matters.
- Assist students in registration advising, choosing majors and minors, and academic planning and also make appropriate referrals to other offices on campus.
- Meet with prospective students and their families. Represent Lerner College and provide presentations to families during Lerner College recruitment events such as Discovery Days, Blue and Golden Days and Decision Days.
- Perform senior checkouts - includes reviewing student transcripts for completion of degree requirements, submission of course substitution requests, and communication with students regarding degree completion and accuracy of audits. Contacts students on probation or in academic difficulty through individual contact, and continual follow-up.
- Advise honors majors from freshmen to seniors
- Serve as the contact for transfer students. Advise students on applicability of transfer credits.
- Participate in Lerner College undergraduate events including convocation, academic orientations, major fairs, and probation meetings.
- Coordinate/execute the annual hospitality management career fair (Spring semester) and networking session (Fall semester)
- Identify speakers for the Paul Wise speaker series and other student events/activities in the department
- Provide support and referral services to students, working with offices such as the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Academic Enrichment, the Office of Student Conduct, the Center for Counseling and Student Development, Career Services, Disabilities Support Services, Admissions, and Housing & Residence Life.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status