at Sallie Mae in Newark, Delaware, United States
Senior Manager, Procurement
Newark – Continental, DE
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine-whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills-you’re in the right place.
What You’ll Contribute
The Sourcing Manager of Corporate Procurement will be responsible for leading and managing procurement strategies across technology spend categories. He/she will serve as the lead for interfacing with internal senior decisions makers on medium and high complexity technology sourcing and contract negotiations. Another focus is to assist the Business in acquiring hardware, software or resources necessary to meet business requirements. Using Procurement best practices, data collection and internal/external communications with both suppliers and internal customers, the Sourcing Manager will be responsible for developing and executing formal sourcing strategies and negotiation plans (e.g. contract language, support/SLAs, and commercial/pricing terms) to deliver measurable value through cost enhancements and elevated service commitments, as well as partnering with business stakeholders to monitor compliance to contracts, as necessary.
What You’ll Do
% of Time Spent
• Sourcing and Technology Category Management
· Serves as a partner to technology business area(s) by promoting early procurement engagement and facilitating collaboration among cross-functional stakeholders and risk partners for vendor sourcing activities; develop effective working relationships with key decision makers/influencers, executives, and subject matter experts.
· Executes on formal sourcing strategy (RFx, contract requests, renewals, etc.) and negotiate contracts for multiple IT categories (Infrastructure/Ops, App Dev, Info Security, DWH, etc.), with a focus on delivering costs enhancements and service level improvements
· Assists business in management of established supplier relationships and assess/determine new potential sources to secure competitive cost, quality and delivery results to meet or exceed financial production objectives
· Develops Procurement strategies for new and existing products and services in partnership with business areas by leveraging supplier spend patterns, supply market capabilities and company goals; lead technology sourcing projects by partnering with stakeholders to develop well-defined requirements and evaluation criteria that align with the business objectives
· Provides businesses with performance metrics, including but not limited to value added in terms of savings negotiated, strategic sourcing, and contracting projects as well as transactional process improvements, opportunities to better manage costs and service levels
• Demand Management & Vendor Lifecycle Process
· Facilitates, supports and promotes procurement process and enhancements to deliver efficiently
· Contributes to the enhancements of the procurement and vendor lifecycle processes
· Maintains a database of RFx, contracts, service level agreements, compliance and other management reports as necessary
· Networks with current and competitive vendors, industry experts, trade associations, user groups, peers at other companies and others to facilitate the gathering of market intelligence, including best practices, emerging/potential sources of competitive advantage, market pricing, product trends, etc.
· Coordinates and assist in resolution of any major vendor issues across assigned categories or relationships
· Coordinates with managers and operating groups; direct and participate quarterly vendor review meetings to discuss performance, including performance relative to Service Level Agreements (SLAs), pricing and other contract commitments, Sallie Mae issues and user satisfaction, etc.
• Ongoing Category and Compliance Management
· Serves as a brand advocate by elevating perception of Procurement department across company by demonstrating and selling our value and delivering on commitments
· Reports and tracks savings and service against detailed contract terms for inclusion in overall procurement reports to businesses and management for assigned categories
· Monitors vendor compliance with established agreements as necessary. This may include monitoring service levels, outages or other unusual events, customer satisfaction levels and vendor responsiveness, as well as reviewing the accuracy and timeliness of invoices and their processing for the purposes of reopening negotiations and/or remediation
· Monitors assigned vendor relationship playbooks and enforce compliance with established agreements. This includes adherence to use of approved vendors, licensing terms, requirements for self-audit and true-up, and timeliness of invoice payment
· Monitors internal user satisfaction through surveys, one-on-one meetings, and address associated issues
· Works closely with businesses to identify opportunities to better manage demand, supply base and project initiatives, i.e., what is purchased
· Participates in the planning, forecasting and expense and capital budgeting processes, providing accurate cost estimates based on negotiated agreements and gathering volume and spend trends for future negotiations
· Serves as primary point of contact for assigned division(s), category and/or procurement initiatives
· Manages relationships internally and externally with senior decision makers
· Serves as a procurement lead on project team by setting example to follow, plus provide training or coaching to other members of team on lessons learned and/or best practices
· Provides training and coaching to business areas on procurement policy, process, and best practices
· Participates in special projects related to process improvement; includes developing and monitoring project plans, and taking corrective action as necessary
· Collaborates while driving successful procurement project completion with multiple support teams: VMO, Info Security, IT Ops/Architecture, Compliance, Legal, Finance, etc.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree is Required,
• Experience presenting and selling ideas at multiple levels, especially at the officer level
• Experience leading cross-functional teams
• 5+ years of progressive experience in procurement services
• 3 years of experience in leading sourcing of technology products and services.
• Ethical individual capable of non-disclosure of confidential information
• Demonstrated ability to build constructive relationships with internal customers (Division Directors & Project Managers), up to Executive Management
• Ability to manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously (i.e., people, budget, deadlines)
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Demonstrated ability to work across a wide range of functions and to lead initiatives on a local and company-wide level.
• Ability to implement sound procurement strategies and objectives in alignment with operation needs.
• Ability to perform risk analysis and financial analysis as it relates to company objectives.
• Ability to implement large process change and large scale deployment plan.
• Ability to constantly challenge status quo
• Ability to work and deliver under tight deadlines
• Excellent inter-personal skills
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Knowledge of contract laws in the US
• Knowledge of supplier marketplace
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (i.e. W