at New Castle County Government in New Castle, Delaware, United States
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs civil engineering work in the field and office at the entrance professional level; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class applies basic engineering knowledge and skills to civil engineering projects in the assessment, design, planning, construction, inspection, and maintenance areas of sanitary and storm sewer systems, stormwater management facilities, and drainage protective works or improvements. This position provides for growth opportunities for independent planning of project details and in making technical determinations. Supervision and direction is provided by Professional Engineers or managers who are responsible for achieving project or program goals.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Performs technical engineering tasks in the design, construction, inspection, and maintenance of sanitary and/or storm sewer systems, stormwater management facilities, and drainage protective works or improvements;
- Reviews and develops plans and specifications for all types of civil engineering projects for technical correctness and adequacy in accordance with established standards, under the supervision of a Professional Engineer;
- Performs hydrologic and hydraulic analyses of sanitary and/or storm sewer systems to determine system capacity and performance;
- Works on capital improvement projects from planning through completed construction;
- Coordinates field crews performing investigative work, such as topographical surveys, condition assessment surveys/inspections or maintenance activities;
- Investigates complaints with respect to record plan violations, sanitary and/or storm sewer, drainage, lines and grades, and sediment and stormwater control violations and assists in their resolution in accordance with appropriate codes and other requirements;
- Represents the County at meetings to discuss projects and programs;
- Prepares work orders for and performs analysis on computerized maintenance management systems, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other software systems for various projects and programs;
- Analyzes cost and performance data from engineering projects;
- Participates in the development of standards relating to planning, design, assessment and maintenance procedures;
- Makes periodic reports and special reports when required;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.