at University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, United States
Job DescriptionUniversity of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 496749
Work Type: AFSCME
Categories: Facilities Management, Full Time
Context of Job:
Under general supervision, performs semi- skilled and unskilled tasks in connection with landscape maintenance and landscape construction.
- Performs work incidental to lawn maintenance and construction.
- Operates grounds maintenance equipment necessary to perform assigned tasks including
- but not limited to:
- push mowers with manual controls.
- riding lawn mowers (all types) with foot and hand controls.
- walk behind mowers with and without sulky.
- farm tractors with attachments.
- skid-steer loader with attachments.
- manual and powered snow removal equipment: shovels, snow blowers, riding equipment,
- tractors, pickup trucks, dump trucks, and front-end loaders.
- Cultivates, transplants, assists with fertilization, waters and maintains shrubs, trees, ornamental grasses, bulbs, turf grass, perennials and ground cover. Prepares areas such as ornamental beds for the installation of a variety of plant material; installs plant material. Establish lawns via seed or sod.
- Cleans paved surfaces, window wells, catch basin covers, litter and trash receptacles; maintains cleanliness and appearance of equipment.
- Operates trucks less than 26,000 lbs. GVW, commercial and industrial grade tractors and other mechanical equipment. in connection with landscape maintenance and construction, snow removal, and refuse collection.
- Performs minor equipment maintenance under the direction of the Caretaker, Group Leader, or designee; lubricates lawn mowers, and other equipment used in landscape construction and maintenance and performs other minor preventive maintenance operations; ensures shop owned equipment is in proper working condition.
- Performs all work contained within the "Refuse Collector" job description as necessary, during emergencies or when dictated by staffing needs, with the exception of operating vehicles greater than 26,000 lbs. GVW.
- Uses computer to access e-mail, receive work instructions and other administrative information to include electronic payroll forms. Communicates via department approved communication system.
- Performs housekeeping duties to maintain a clean, uncluttered, and safe work environment.
- Performs snow removal and deicing functions, as required. Can be assigned to weather related work.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Environmental Factors/Occupational Exposures:
- The physical environment requires the employees to work primarily outside in both extreme heat and cold conditions as well as conditions that are wet/humid, dry and during times when temperatures are below 32o F for more than one-hour periods.
- Employee must lift, tug, pull, and transport, with or without assistance, both small and heavy materials.
- The employee is required to bend squat, stretch, and stand for prolonged periods of times while performing their usual job functions.
- Environment may frequently include dust and/or airborne particles and occasionally loud noise, chemicals, gases, fumes and vibration.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status