at New Castle County Government in New Castle, Delaware, United States
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Coordinates the overall recreational activities of the Community Services Department by developing, implementing, promoting and overseeing recreation, instructional, educational, leisure programs and services; staffing facilities and programs; and providing essential services to the community through effective interaction among the various units of the department and other departments within the County; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class assists the Community Services Department Manager in planning, controlling and coordinating recreation activities and staff of the Community Services Department to promote and maintain the highest quality of life for New Castle County residents. Specifically, the employee assists with the planning, development, promotion, and supervision of a variety of recreation, instructional, educational, leisure activities, and special events and programs. This employee must be proficient at recreation management, possess excellent leadership skills and must be an effective communicator. This employee assists in developing, providing and maintaining a diverse mix of recreation services available and accessible to all which will contribute to the physical, mental, social, educational, informational and cultural needs of County residents. Responsibilities include planning, developing, implementing and coordinating the various recreation activities and programs in specialized areas such as parks, museum, communities, community and recreational centers, sports, and schools both within and outside the department to include coordinating with the media, other governmental and private service providers and community organizations. This employee may be required to work unusual hours including nights, weekends, and holidays at various work sites. This employee works under general direction.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Responsible for developing and coordinating recreation programs for persons of all ages and abilities located throughout New Castle County.
- Evaluates programs, including attendance, schedules, expenditures, utilization of supplies and equipment and surveys and makes recommendations to ensure the delivery of quality services.
- Drafts promotional materials, correspondence, press releases, newsletters and flyers.
- Recommends new recreation programs and recognizes trends.
- Collects, analyzes, and formulates program data for demographic and socio-economic programming trends.
- Coordinates the delivery of all services provided by the department, including but not limited to recreational, cultural, educational, libraries, programs for seniors, housing assistance and community development.
- Develops, implements and oversees recreational programs and activities located throughout the county including hiring of part time staff and contractors, budget development; and planning for and implementing recreation programs, activities and special events.
- Develops programmatic connections among the various units of the department and other departments within the County, and with external organizations and agencies.
- Promotes the sharing of resources and facilitates cooperation among the various program components and activities of the department.
- Assists in the development of long- and short-term goals for the department.
- Implements policies and procedures for the department as directed by the department manager.
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that internal and external customers are provided with the highest quality of service.
- Interacts with outside agencies, the media, other service providers, community organizations and the public concerning related issues.
- Assigns work and supervises staff; ensures proper staffing for all activities; provides evaluations and training, and implements disciplinary action, as requested.
- Works with department staff to develop methods for dealing with departmental issues and in responding to problems or requests received.
- Presents information to community groups.
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
- Performs other duties as instructed and assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of the recreation programs, activities and services provided in the area of community services; some knowledge of program and budget development; ability to coordinate a variety of diverse community service and recreation functions and associated staff; ability to supervise others; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to make effective presentations before groups; ability to establish and develop effective working relationships with associates, government officials, agencies, private organizations and the public and to promote an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent customer service; ability to analyze complex data, draw valid conclusions and make reliable recommendations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least one to three years’ experience in the area of planning or coordination of a variety of parks, recreation programs or services; one year supervisory experience, and possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in recreation, sports management, education, business administration, public administration or related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to pass a Class III County physical examination and background check. Possession of a valid Delaware class D driver’s license or its equivalent.
Office of Human Resources