at Delaware Department of Correction in New Castle, Delaware, United States
- Sign-On Bonus - $3,000 to new Cadets paid in three (3) installments; $500 paid at completing 10th week of academy; $1,000 paid upon graduation; and $1,500 paid upon 18-month anniversary from initial date of hire.
- Out of State Correctional Officer Pay: Upon successful completion of the Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) course, employees who have equivalent work experience from another Department of Correction agency may be placed on the salary step table with up to 10 qualified years of experience.
Writing Exercise: A writing exercise will be given at the time of interview
Selected incumbent’s annual base starting salary is $39,880. Upon successful completion of the Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) course, and after being assigned to a facility, the salary will increase to $44,500. Additionally the incumbent will be eligible for a 5% shift differential if he/she works four or more hours between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.
The Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) program is approved by the Veterans Administration of Delaware State Approving Authority for the training of Veterans.
DOC Special Requirement: Prior to institutional assignment, candidates must successfully complete all phases of an eleven- week Correctional Officer Basic Course. This course is administered by the Department of Correction Steven R. Floyd Sr. Training Academy. Coursework includes physical, classroom and hands-on training. Instruction is provided in the areas of inmate supervision, defensive tactics, riot control, weapons, report writing and emergency medical training.
Employees in a Correctional Officer (CO) series position will be eligible to retire under the provisions of HB363 if, at the time of retirement, they have completed twenty-five (25) years of pension creditable State service, and with at least twenty (20) of those years of pension creditable service as a CO series classified position.
As a condition of employment, all employees must certify that they are fully COVID-19 vaccinated; be required to test for COVID-19 on a weekly basis; or request an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination(s) due to health or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices and be COVID-19 tested weekly by September 30, 2021, or if hired after September 23, 2021, during their initial week of employment. This will be in effect until further notice. More information can be found at here.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Maintains control of inmates while escorting individuals or groups within the prison.
- Keeps accurate head counts of inmates in the assigned security post.
- Conducts periodic shakedowns of inmates and searches inmates, visitors, employees, cell blocks and/or other structures for such prohibited items as tools, weapons or other contraband.
- Operates manual and electronic locking systems.
- Enforces all rules, regulations and procedures affecting inmate discipline, security and safety.
- Observes inmate activities to detect unusual or prohibited behavior which may be a threat to the security of the facility or the safety of the inmate, other inmates, employees or visitors.
- Ensures inmates conform to proper standards of care as required for the living areas and personal hygiene.
- Maintains the custody of inmates during transport to other institutions and in the community for court appearances or a variety of appointments.
- Prepares and maintains a daily log and routine reports of activities and incidents on the assigned shift using an automated information system to enter, update, retrieve and report on data.
- May be required to train and care for K-9 including feeding, grooming and kennel maintenance.
- May enter institution as backup in riot control and shakedown activities. May participate in the pursuit of escapees.