at University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, United States
Job DescriptionUniversity of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 496777
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Public Safety, Security, & Emergency Services, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 20N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under limited supervision, performs police patrol work. The principal emphasis is on enforcing the laws of the State of Delaware, City of Newark and University rules and regulations; investigating crimes, traffic accidents and other safety-related matters and taking corrective and/or enforcement action as required; independent judgment is required in interpreting University policy in accordance with established laws, regulations and procedures; requires the exercise of tactful and assertive interpersonal communication skills.
Depending on divisional assignment, the following are typical:
- Conducts high visibility patrols of the campus, either on foot or by vehicle, to ensure the security of facilities and the safety of students, staff and visitors; prevents and deters crime by observation and confrontation of unusual circumstances and individuals.
- Responds to, initiates investigation into, and reports crimes or incidents in violation of State law, City code or University rules which impact on the safety of the University community;
- Takes enforcement action and makes apprehensions as required; completes all necessary documentation including preparation of summonses or warrants, affidavits, reports, referrals and arrest paper work; notifies supervisors of all enforcement related actions;
- Preserves crime scenes, collects and preserves evidence; identifies and interviews witnesses, suspects and victims of criminal incidents; assists other law enforcement officers in investigations;
- Prepares and presents or assists in presentation of cases in courts or other official proceedings;
- Performs traffic direction and crowd control duties as assigned;
- Renders first aid; transports sick, injured or otherwise disabled persons;
- Assists visitors, students and staff by providing information, directions and assistance;
- Supervises security officers and/or miscellaneous wage and/or student employees;
- Participates in training and certification sessions;
- Inputs, searches and modifies appropriate computerized criminal justice information systems;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires a minimum of 30 college credits OR approved military experience OR Delaware COPT certification.
- Some college work in criminal justice, political science or the social sciences preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license;
- must be able to be commissioned as a Police Officer for the University of Delaware (this requires successful completion of mandatory police training in the State of Delaware or equivalent training acceptable to the Delaware Council on Police Training within the first year of employment *).
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status