at CITY OF MILFORD in Milford, Delaware, United States
Job Summary: Responsible for the safe operation of side-load and/or rear-load truck
and ancillary equipment on assigned route to service customers while providing
excellent customer service. Deliver solid waste/recyclables to designated disposal
facility. Manage container inventory, delivery and repairs.
The Solid Waste Operator/Collector shall be committed to the mission, vision and values of the
City and demonstrate such through ethical conduct, community stewardship, individual
initiative and responsive service. The Solid Waste Operator/Collector shall demonstrate
leadership, management and technical skills through effective communication and
collaboration, proper use of team resources, progressive decision- making, personal
accountability and responsibility.
A. Safely operate side-load and/or rear-load refuse vehicles on a designated route of
apartments, office buildings, residential customers, commercial customers or sites of
contained refuse/recycling and hauling to disposal sites.
B. Responsible for weekly bulk pick-ups for residential and commercial customers.
C. Performs pre/post inspections for vehicles to ensure proper operation; reports any
malfunctions to supervisor and Head Mechanic.
D. Responsible for reporting residential and commercial customer non-compliance to
include but not limited to improper container placement, blocked containers and
E. Answer routine customer questions related to refuse schedule and service and provide
customer focused service.
F. Responsible for completing all required daily forms and returning to the designated
area as determined by the supervisor.
G. Responsible for container inventory and delivering, replacing and inspecting of
City of Milford
Solid Waste Operator/Collector
Pay Grade: 04
Effective Date: February 2021 P a g e – 2
H. Performs annual asset management audit and inspection of containers to determine a
I. Performs dumpster maintenance to include repairs, painting and wheel replacement.
J. Responsible for the safe economical and efficient operation of all pieces of heavy
refuse equipment; side-load and/or rear-load vehicles and delivery lift truck.
K. Work scheduled on-call duties after hours, as needed, for special events and weather
L. Assist the other divisions of Public Works when necessary as directed by the Solid
Waste & Facilities Supervisor.
M. Performs related work as required.
Essential Functions, Qualifications, & Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) for Employment:
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon
• Understanding of the hazards. safety rules and precautions in refuse collection and
heavy equipment operation.
• Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, standards, codes, and/or
statutes of assigned areas of responsibility.
• Heavy equipment operation as applicable to landfill and transfer station operations.
• Safe work practices applicable to required equipment maintenance and techniques.
• Basic waste material identification and proper safe handling.
• Multi-task and work independently.
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor,
and the general public, sufficient to exchange or convey information and receive work
• Effectively managing time and resources to ensure work is completed efficiently.
• Exceeding customer needs, building productive customer relationships and taking
responsibility for customer satisfaction.
• Navigate and use electronic devices to manage work orders and receive and/or send
• Read electronic maps and navigate streets safely and effectively.
• Exercise independent judgment in accordance with established policies and practices.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrate positive behavior and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships withCity employees, various businesses and agencies and the