at Air Liquide in Newark, Delaware, United States
Air Liquide R&D centers, hosting a wide range of competencies, support the Group in achieving the highest level of excellence in the technologies it provides to its customers. The Delaware Research and Technology Center (DRTC) in Newark, DE provides innovation and technical support to Air Liquide’s businesses and markets in the Americas and worldwide.
The Materials, Design, and Manufacturing group supports growth of Air Liquide business through development of technologies applied to industrial and advanced manufacturing processes. Within this group, the R&D welding engineer leads process development of welding and cutting technologies from design to application.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a safety role model; promotes a high level of safety awareness and continuous improvement in safety practices.
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge and understanding of welding processes, welding applications, and automation including cutting systems, fixed automation, robotics, controllers and software.
- Assures coordination of all welding tests, including planning and supervision of tasks.
- Inspects and verifies welding work is completed in accordance with the regulations, codes, standards and specifications pertaining to the products manufactured.
- Leads all destructive and non-destructive testing activities related to manufacturing.
- Develops new processes from the design phase to industrial production, and optimizes existing processes in close contact with internal and external partners.
- Helps to transpose innovations from the pilot scale to the industrial scale.
- Solves problems and participates in workgroups to provide expertise and technical support to operations and business teams.
- Participates in the design, assembly, operation, and maintenance of experimental test equipment to support the evaluation and characterization of processes for targeted applications.
- Collects, analyzes, documents and communicates results of experimental tests.
- Proposes innovative solutions and technical methods; supports development of intellectual property.
- Builds competency and transfers know-how to others, serves as a mentor to worldwide welding specialist.
- Master’s degree in Materials Science specializing in Welding Engineering
- 3+ years experience at welding design office or project manager or coordinator in welding.
- Bachelor Degree in welding engineering / technology plus 5+ years experience at welding design office or project manager or coordinator in welding.
- Must have a broad knowledge of the welding, cutting and fabrication processes common to the customer base, including but not limited to:
- Manual, semi-automated and automated welding processes.
- Shielding gas applications.
- Basic shop equipment used for punching, forming, bending, or rolling of both plate and structural components.
- Interpretation of blueprints of at least an intermediate level, including weld symbols.
- Basic takeoff and estimating techniques and rudimentary drafting skills.
- Knowledge of welding and power equipment from many different suppliers.
- Knowledge of bulk gas facilities and distribution through manifolds, mixers and piping systems.
- Deep understanding of the materials and their behavior during welding and related techniques (preheating, heat treatments …); fundamental knowledge of welding metallurgy, microstructure, and phenomenological processes occurring during welding and solidification.
- Is able to:
- design welded joints, including different design details considering the specific requirements of the structural elements
- control manufacturing process to fulfill the requirement of the standards.
- implement devices necessary for the welding operations of welded fabrications.
- Has a general view of all the techniques and control methods that can be used to characterize the state of integrity of structures, welded joints or materials.
- Mastery of computer tools (CAD concept, robotics programming, etc…)
- Practical experience with analytical measurements and implementation of sensors.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and international environment
- Ability to work autonomously and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Capable of setting up and operating equipment to perform experimental tests using manual, semi-automatic, automatic and flexible automation equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; speak and hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and have full range of motion
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock.
- May require occasional travel including internationally for up to several days at a time.