at Sallie Mae in Newark, Delaware, United States
Director – Cloud Operations
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine-whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills-you’re in the right place.
What You’ll Contribute
Responsible for the 24×7 daily operations of the teams that support the infrastructure and operations of Sallie Mae’s Cloud environment. This environment includes compute, storage and network within the cloud environment. This position is also the day to day relationship manager to Sallie Mae’s cloud provider. This position is responsible for the monthly management of cloud costs to ensure the efficient use of cloud-based resources. Additionally, this role manages the vendor that supports the WAN and LAN environments that connect Sallie Mae sites and business partners.
Ensures teams respond appropriately to trouble tickets. Reviews project requests, coordinates schedules and other related departmental activities. Provides overall direction and guidance to assigned project managers. Reviews and evaluates work of subordinate staff and prepares performance reports. Prepares reports on financial information, including department budgets, as well as overall project status for appropriate applications systems analysis and programming activities. This position also interacts on a daily basis with other IT resources in Application Development as well as, external IT vendors. This position is also a key contributor to Sallie Mae’s cloud strategy.
What You’ll Do
% of Time Spent
• Provides planning, leadership and organization of the technical support for multiple business functions on a 24×7 basis.
• Ensures that team responds appropriately to customer issues and Service Desk tickets.
• Conducts meetings with appropriate personnel to define goals and objectives of business application.
• Defines, monitors and enhances services levels and service agreements and measures for quality and client satisfaction requirements.
• Develops and maintains a thorough knowledge of multiple Sallie Mae business functions and how the system and procedures that support these functions interrelate. Learns business functions and systems outside of assigned responsibilities.
• Maintains good general understanding of the other functional areas of the company and communicates to the appropriate staff information that has an impact on their assigned projects or responsibilities.
• Solicits input from clients and infrastructure and operations areas in order to continuously improve the systems and processes.
• Interacts and manages IT vendors who provide critical software and services to Sallie Mae.
• Manages staff including hiring, terminating. administering disciplinary action, evaluating performance, and coaching behavior.
• Plans and forecasts budget for area.
What You Need to Succeed
Being focused on our customer helps us to deliver a lasting impression and instill trust. Through collaboration and teamwork, we are able to communicate effectively across departments leading to better decision quality. We hold ourselves to the highest standards ensuring accountability in all we do to deliver on our mission and shared values.
A leader at Sallie Mae will need to be strategic with their teams to achieve our corporate goals. Their ability to drive our vision and purpose amongst their teams and helping them to develop to the next level of talent will be imperative. Being able to adapt to situations quickly and effectively will foster a positive proactive work environment and result in a leader being successful at Sallie Mae.
What You Have
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology or related field or equivalent work experience.
• 15 + years of IT experience supporting IT Infrastructure.
• 10+ years of experience managing network and telephony infrastructure.
• 5+ years of experience managing Microsoft Enterprise Voice technologies.
• 10+ years of managing a team of 5+ staff members.
• 10+ years of experience managing IT vendor relationships.
• 10+ years of experience managing an annual budget of at least $10M.
• Knowledge of WAN’s, LAN’s, data base and network technologies.
• Ability to ensure environment remains current and in compliance with internal and external controls.
• Ability to establish standards to ensure customer needs are met in a timely and quality way.
• Ability to build and manage relationships with customers and other IT teams with varying interests.
• People management skills, which include making hiring and firing decisions, counseling, coaching, and motivating staff.
• Strong knowledge of business environment.
• Ability to develop and implement a system to respond to clients’ strategic and tactical needs.
• Strong interpersonal skills required for a team environment.
• Strong written and oral skills.
• Strong teambuilding skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
• Accountability – Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Collaboration – Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communication – Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Customer focus – Build strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
• Decision quality – Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Instill trust – Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Develop talent – Develop people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
• Situational adaptability – Adapt approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Strategic mindset – See ahead to future possibilities and translate them into breakthrough strategies.
• Drive vision and purpose – Paint a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
What You’ll Get at Sallie Mae:
+ Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
+ Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
+ Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
+ Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.