at (OMB) Office of Mang. and Budget State of Delaware in Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Assistant Medical Examiner
Recruitment #051022-MDEZ01-450100Opening Date 5/13/2022 12:00:00 AM Closing Date 11/6/2022 11:59:00 PM Type of Recruitment Casual/Seasonal Salary $144.00/hour Salary Plan G34 Pay Grade FR1 Shift Hours 8:00am - 4:30pm (29.75 hours/week) Employment Type Actual Vacancy Employment Term Casual/Seasonal Agency DSHS/Division of Forensic Science Location(s) ADAMSST:
(200 S. Adams St., Wilmington, Delaware, 19801) Contact Name Applicant Services Contact Phone 302-744-2528
The incumbent reports to the Chief Medical Examiner. Primary responsibilities of this position include performing jurisdictional forensic autopsies and examinations of decedents to determine cause and manner of death. Exposure to unpleasant odors, sights, sounds, and potential biohazards is expected. The incumbent may report to both the Wilmington and Georgetown offices as needed, with weekend and holiday coverage required on a rotating basis.
- Performs forensic autopsies and external body examinations on bodies brought to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in order to determine the cause and manner of death.
- Reviews reports of death received from hospitals, police agencies, and private physicians in order to determine jurisdiction of cases.
- Communicates with family, friends, and/or associates of decedents as necessary in order to clarify unclear points and obtain appropriate background information.
- Conducts on-site investigations at the death scene to gather appropriate data and information surrounding the case.
- Conducts a preliminary examination of the body to determine if a complete autopsy is required.
- Directs the activities of forensic investigators in photographing and removing of the decedent and the work of autopsy room support personnel during the examination.
- Conducts microscopic examinations of specimens, tissues, organs, fluid, blood, etc. to determine irregular conditions which might have contributed to death.
- Prepares through dictation, autopsy and external body examination reports and findings and furnishes same to law enforcement officials to include evidence of a medical/scientific nature which might be needed for criminal involvement uses.
- Works with hospitals, health care agencies, law enforcement and criminal justice agencies and private physicians.
- Reviews current literature in the area of forensic pathology and investigative research and examines prior case histories for background information.
- Prepares certificate of death and determines the release of bodies and cremation. Testifies in courts of law as required.
This position has statewide responsibilities requiring travel throughout the state. The State of Delaware provide transportation services to State agencies.
This posting may be closed before November 6, 2022, upon filling the vacant position.