at DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware, United States
At DuPont, we are working on things that matter; whether it’s providing clean water to more than a billion people on the planet, producing materials that are essential in everyday technology devices from smartphones to electric vehicles, or protecting workers in this global pandemic.?
If you would like to be a part of a premier multi-industrial company that is delivering sustainable solutions that bring real purpose and value, of a company with collaborative spirit because it believes that we work best when we?work together as a team and values the diversity of thought, then DuPont is the company for you!
WHY JOIN US??
Our purpose is to empower the world with essential innovations to thrive. We work on things that matter!?
Get to know our?Purpose?and make it yours by bringing innovations to market that?improve the world, share a?commitment to sustainability that?makes our planet better and give back to communities in?which we work?and live.
Get to?Experience?a collaborative environment where teamwork is celebrated with flexibility that enhances balance?and an inclusive atmosphere that is welcoming to all!
Have the?Opportunity?to?chart your own course,?challenge yourself, and acquire new capabilities to build?a?rewarding and fulfilling career. We reward employees with competitive pay and incentives to recognize?skills,?competencies, and contributions?to business results.?
At DuPont, and within the Electronics and Industrial (E&I) organization, we are looking to reinforce our Technology Team to support the DuPont™ Kalrez® and Vespel® business. This specialty business focusses on high-performance parts that provide sealing and wear and friction solutions in the electronics, energy & material handling (E&MH), aerospace, and transportation industries.
Within our Global Technology Team for Kalrez® perfluoroelastomer parts, and based at the Experimental Station in Wilmington, Delaware, US, we are currently seeking an:
Associate Investigator (AI) Organic Chemist
The successful candidate will perform hands-on laboratory work under the direction of a technical Principal Investigator. The candidate is expected to apply scientific skills and expertise regarding the research project(s) which involve all aspects of synthetic chemistry with emphasis in the areas of fluoropolymers, small molecule synthesis, polymerization, analytical characterization, and basic cure chemistry. While the candidate is expected to work as a part of an interdisciplinary team, the candidate is also expected to be able to work somewhat independently in the laboratory, and to occasionally design and execute their own sub-team projects. The candidate is also expected to eventually coach and train the other wet chemistry lab technologists.
The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Independently conducting synthetic reactions, including reaction system assembly, monitoring, product work-up/analysis/characterization, and experimental documentation using an electronic laboratory notebook system.
• Conducting reactions with reactive gaseous materials, which includes the handling of gas cylinders, gas transfers, and the operation of Schlenk lines.
• Performing routine and sophisticated organic chemistry lab techniques (including vacuum/fractional distillation), advanced distillation techniques, recrystallization, extraction, filtration, gas chromatography, and liquid chromatography.
• Preparing and analyzing the small molecule and polymer samples through spectroscopic methods (including NMR, FT-IR, GC, GC/MS, LC-MS, DSC, TGA, XRF etc)
• Operation and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation, including: FT-IR, NMR, GC, GC/MS, LC, and LC/MS.
• Contributing to all phases of project development including planning, execution, data collection, and analysis of lab experiments
• M.S. in Organic Chemistry or B.S in Chemistry with 2-4 years of hands-on wet chemistry/practical laboratory experience.
• In depth knowledge of organic chemicals and basic functional group transformations.
• High level of creativity and productivity with proven track record of synthetic organic chemistry problem solving skills.
• Excellent knowledge of and hands on experience with NMR, GC/MS, LC/MS, FT-IR as well as interpretation of the respective data.
• Commitment to laboratory safety, including adherence to best practices, PPE usage, proper disposal of chemicals, and managing chemical inventories.
• Experienced in maintaining a laboratory in good working condition as well as ordering supplies and chemicals.
• Experienced with vacuum/fractional distillation and gas chromatography.
• The aptitude to effectively collaborate with interdisciplinary teams of scientists and to communicate research directions within the R&D community.
• Aptitude and willingness to learn a new field of research.
• Knowledge about organofluorine chemistry and fluorinated chemicals.
• Experience in polymerizations and polymer characterization.
DuPont will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable). This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. DuPont will require proof of status prior to employment.
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information (http://www.dupont.com/global-links/accessibility.html) .
For US Applicants: See the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
For our U.S. Affirmative Action Policy, click here (https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/amer/us/en/corporate/microsites/now/news-articles/EEO%20Policy%20Final%20Version%20Oct%202020.pdf) .To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account