at IRS Internal Revenue Service - IRS in Newark, Delaware, United States
Click on job link to apply or visit www.usajobs.gov Full-time Position Bachelor’s Degree 12mos experience
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: SBSE Field Exam The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
· Conducts independent examinations and related investigations of complex income tax returns filed by individuals or business/organizational entities. Examinations may also contain special audit features or anticipated accounting, tax law, or investigative issues of more than usual difficulty or complexity.
· Conducts examinations of complex individual and business taxpayers involved in activities or transactions designated or structured to hide or conceal income such as offshore activities, multiple related entities and other means using a wide range of financial and other investigative skills.
· Conducts package audits to determine that other required returns such as information, excise, or specialty returns are filed and conduct concurrent examinations of these and other returns when warranted. Recognizes the need for specialists and makes appropriate referrals.
· Identifies issues to be pursued based on large, unusual or questionable items which produce significant tax or compliance effect and utilizes the appropriate tax law and facts needed to resolve them. Recognizes indicators of fraudulent activity and develops appropriate referrals.
· Utilizes standard accounting methods and techniques during the course of examinations in order to develop information regarding the income and financial operations of taxpayers.
· Examines accounting systems and records including computerized accounting and financial information systems which reflect a variety of complex financial operations. Gathers and researches data from a variety of sources, and/or specialized accounting practices unique to a particular trade or industry.