at IRS Internal Revenue Service - IRS in Newark, Delaware, United States
Click on job link to apply or visit www.usajobs.gov Full-time Position Bachelor’s Degree 12mos experience
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: SB/SE Specialty Exam, Employment Tax The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
· Receives assigned cases and conducts a pre-audit analysis of the return. Researches such background materials as may be available concerning industry practices, determines most likely areas of non-compliance, and plans audit techniques to be used during the examination.
· Performs employment tax examinations of large businesses and of businesses having several operating sub-divisions or deriving income from many sources. Also included are those companies that have sales organizations, subcontractors, or those which furnish personal services. The incumbent specializes in the area of Income Tax Withholding, Federal Insurance Contribution Act, and Federal Unemployment Tax Act. Examinations involve scrutiny of accounting data, research of tax laws and reference guides to resolve legal issues.
· Meets and deals with taxpayers and their representatives to communicate complex examination findings including the interpretation made of the tax laws, regulations, etc. Prepares a comprehensive report to the taxpayer on the results of the examination.
· As required, conducts examinations of other kinds of tax returns and special examinations, such as those of claims, collateral requests, or the audit features in important cases of suspected fraud. Participates as employment tax specialist in large case examinations.
· Remains alert for related income tax problems, which may become evident from the examination, and refers such problems to income tax agents.
· Assists taxpayers by providing technical tax information. Writes determination letters based upon written requests from individuals and corporations, including Form SS-8 requests.