at New Castle County Government in New Castle, Delaware, United States
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs general duty police work in the protection of life and property throughout the County; prevents violation of statutes and ordinances; investigates and suppresses disturbances; investigates complaints; makes arrests and issues summonses when appropriate; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs work consisting of varied police assignments. Usually a Police Officer is assigned to a patrol platoon or other police unit and conducts investigations as directed by a superior officer; performs routine preliminary investigations and miscellaneous duties performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations, directives and Delaware law. This employee is required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
• Enforces State laws and County regulations;
• Patrols an assigned area during a specific period in motorized police equipment;
• Checks doors and windows and examines premises of unoccupied buildings or residences in order to detect suspicious conditions;
• Subdues combatants and arrests dangerous criminals;
• Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints and makes arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances;
• Accompanies prisoners to headquarters, jail, or court and appears in court as arresting officer;
• Directs traffic and either arrests or gives violation tickets to those who break traffic laws;
• Attends fires or accidents in assigned area as directed, giving all possible assistance and preparing necessary reports from investigations made;
• Maintains order in crowds and attends parades and other public gatherings;
• Watches for stolen cars and wanted or missing persons;
• Makes investigations and enforces County and State laws pertaining to juvenile offenders;
• Gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public;
• Operates radio patrol car or patrol wagon as required;
• Operates radar unit for traffic control;
• Serves subpoenas and executes warrants issued by the courts of New Castle County;
• Provides escort service for public dignitaries, funerals, oversize vehicles, and explosive vehicles;
• Transports prisoners to specified destinations;
• Assists motorists whose vehicles are broken down or stranded;
• Acts for Police Sergeant in his or her absence as directed;
• Makes special investigations as directed in plain clothes;
• Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
• Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good social and general intelligence; good powers of observation and memory; good judgment; good knowledge of first-aid methods; skill in the use of firearms; demonstrated proficiency to safely operate a vehicle on the road in emergency situations at high speed and under normal conditions; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to give chase, apprehend and perform arresting duties; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; possess excellent moral character, strength and physical fitness.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: OUT OF STATE: Twenty one (21) years of age and current out of state certified Police Officer with two years of full time police experience including successful graduation from a Police Academy approved by the New Castle County Division of Police; the authority to investigate complaints and make arrests of persons who violate state and local laws; the authority to direct traffic, arrest or give violation tickets to those who break traffic laws; and thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university; Must currently be employed by a full service police agency.
In State: Twenty one (21) years of age and current Delaware Council of Police Training (COPT) certified officer with two (2) years full-time police experience and thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university; Must have current certification as a Delaware-certified police officer.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Weight should be proportionate to height; successful completion of a fitness evaluation, Class 1a physical examination, psychological examination and background investigation; acuity of vision of not more than 20/200 corrected to 20/20 in each eye; the ability to distinguish between the colors of red, green, and amber with no pathology of the eyes and acceptable depth perception; possession of a valid Delaware Class D driver's license or its equivalent; successful completion of police academy training within one year of employment; must be a United States citizen.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATION: Applicants who possess a minimum of thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university will be given preference over applicants who only possess five (5) years of work experience.