at CDM Smith in Middletown, Delaware, United States
CDM Smith has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer/Airfield Pavements Engineer with specific expertise in military and civilian airfield pavement design and construction.
This position can be based in any of our U.S. offices. CDM Smith offers hybrid work options, allowing for working in the office and remotely from home.
As a member of our geotechnical team, you would contribute to CDM Smith’s mission by:
- Providing senior level experience with Unified Facilities Criteria for Airfield Pavement Design, Unified Facilities Guide Specifications, FAA Advisory Circulars, and AASHTO flexible and rigid pavement design standards required.
- Planning, scheduling, conducting, or coordinating mid- to large-size field and laboratory services for transportation-related projects, including airfield and roadway pavement projects, embankment design, and retaining structures.
- Performing and/or overseeing engineering analyses and evaluations for the design of new pavements and overlays, pavement condition surveys, pavement rehabilitation, and reconstruction.
- Performing and/or overseeing engineering analyses and evaluations for other project types consistent with successful applicant’s expertise. This could include: transportation, civil engineering, structural engineering, below pavement piping systems, earthwork, dewatering, and excavation support; shallow/deep foundations; pipelines; micro-tunneling, and pipe jacking.
- Writing engineering reports and preparing Contract Documents.
- Overseeing engineering services during construction on projects involving pavement design and other project types consistent with successful applicant’s expertise.
- Preparing scope, schedules, and budgets for proposals.
- Managing projects, subcontractors, and multi-disciplined staff on projects and work within multi-disciplined team environment.
- Directing the work staff of engineers and technicians.
- Acting as mentor for lower-level employees.
- Maintaining liaison with individuals and units within or outside organization.
- Working with clients in the federal, public, and private sectors.
Geotechnical Engineer 6
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geologic Engineering or related discipline. Professional engineering (PE) license.
- 10 years of related experience.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
- Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering emphasis.
- Experience in all types of subsurface explorations, laboratory testing, civilian and military pavement designs, foundation engineering, analysis, engineering report writing, and preparation of contract documents.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- 15 years of related experience in pavement design for civilian and military airfields, streets, and highways. Experience with Unified Facilities Criteria for Airfield Pavement Design, Unified Facilities Guide Specifications, FAA Advisory Circulars, and AASHTO flexible and rigid pavement design. standards required.
- Experience on transportation projects with federal, state, and municipal agencies.
- International experience with U.S. military airfields and pavement designs is a plus.
- Experience with PCASE is a plus.
- Experience in Roller-Compacted Concrete for pavements and channel/basin liner projects is a plus.
- Experience working on federal contracts is a plus.
- Experience with staff management, project management, and business development is a plus.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
United States – Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No – We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions.
Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview.
CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant’s criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.