at CDM Smith in Newark, Delaware, United States
CDM Smith is currently seeking a GIS professional in various geographical locations to serve as flood risk study manager and quality reviewer in support of FEMA Risk MAP (Risk Mapping, Assessment, and planning) activities nationwide.
On a daily basis, the selected candidate will lead teams of GIS, engineering, and administrative professionals, both locally and nationally, towards the successful completion of a variety of FEMA Risk MAP projects. Additionally, as CDM Smith provides service at all stages of Risk MAP, the selected candidate can expect opportunity for involvement in studies throughout the project life cycle, from discovery to flood study effective date.
We are open to having candidates based in any U.S. CDM Smith office for this position. We are considering remote schedules for this position.
Project related responsibilities include:
- Independently lead and coordinate tasks within a Risk MAP flood study lifecycle, such as basemap, terrain, FIRM database development, floodplain mapping, preliminary issuance, and post-preliminary processing through map effective, and delegate tasks to multiple supporting staff across diverse geographies;
- Training capability around the key Risk MAP work types noted above.
- Leading FEMA MIP deliverable compilation and review within a flood risk study lifecycle.
- Leading and supporting internal QA/QC, which may include QC of base map, terrain, flood risk database, summary of map actions, and floodplain mapping, as well as FEMA Quality Reviews 3, 5, and 7.
- Strict adherence to project documentation and storage requirements.
- Strict adherence to FEMA standards and technical references.
- Occasionally facilitating/presenting/participation at FEMA Risk MAP meetings and support of community engagement activities related to flood risk study lifecycle.
- Estimating resource needs and scheduling and assigning work to meet milestone completion dates
- Monitoring and maintaining Risk MAP study schedules and budgets, including providing input to Earned Value Management reporting.
- Informing and working with Project Managers on project risks and mitigation actions.
- Providing support as a technical lead and/or Subject Matter Expert for FEMA Risk MAP programmatic working groups.
GIS Specialist 3
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, Science, Engineering, Planning, Mathematics or Government or related discipline.
- 3 years of progressively responsible experience applying GIS technology.
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required.
- The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
- Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must be a US citizen
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible professional technical experience related FEMA’s Risk MAP program or other flood-related work, including floodplain mapping.
- Past experience in Risk MAP study production, including base map, terrain, FIRM database, preliminary product development (including summary of map actions), flood risk product development, FIS development, and H&H general knowledge.
- Familiarity with FEMA’s MIP submittal requirements and strong knowledge of FEMA guidance, standards, and technical references.
- Comfortable with client-facing role, providing updates and presenting issues to FEMA PM directly and on a regular basis
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM)
- GISP or ESRI (Desktop, Developer or Enterprise) Certification
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- M.S. / M.A. in geography, computer science, geology, planning, mathematics, engineering, or a related field
- Familiarity with ArcHydro, HEC-RAS, HEC-GeoRAS, HAZUS
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
United States – Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No – We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Basic knowledge of SQL Server (preferred). Moderate to advanced knowledge of Esri ArcGIS 10.x and extensions, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, GPS technology, UML Tools, model builder, Python for ArcGIS, and related geospatial software tools. Knowledge of Internet Explorer, FireFox, and Chrome, as well as specialty applications, such as PhotoShop, Business Analytics software, programming software.
U.S. Vaccine Status:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) are committed to your health and safety. CDM Smith and its employees adhere to all applicable government and client COVID-19 requirements.