Direct Support Professionals- Bear, New Castle, Wilmington
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Dover, DE 19904
Direct Support employees support THCI clients to achieve their desired quality of life and ensure optimal health and safety, provide prescribed support and supervision, assist clients to be as independent as possible, and to maintain their homes so they are clean, safe, and hazard free.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Behavior should be professional at all times and consistent with THCI’s culture, mission, values, philosophy, and policies and procedures, including treating clients and others with dignity and respect.
• Assist clients in maintaining safe and healthy lifestyles, and monitor for changes in their general health, appearance, behavior, and patterns of activities.
• Responsible for monitoring and maintaining a clean, safe, and secure environment for clients at all times.
• Provide training and assistance to all clients in making healthy dietary choices, and following any pre-established orders by medical professionals.
• Plan and support clients in daily activities, which may include, but not limited to, household chores, recreational activities, learning activities, physical fitness activities, and money management.
• Responsible for assisting clients with personal hygiene skills and tasks, including assisting with bathroom responsibilities, ensuring clients complete shaving, brushing teeth, bathing/showering, shampooing, and dressing appropriately for the weather and type of activities.
• Complete paperwork, as necessary, to meet THCI, federal, and state regulatory requirements.
• Complete required, on-going training requirements within THCI and state required timeframes and meeting region required competency levels.
• Report to work on time, and if unable to report to work, or if there is a need to come to work late, or leave early, follow THCI’s approval policy.
• Attend staff meetings and all company required activities.
Additional Job Responsibilities
• Safely transport clients to and from recreational activities, errands, work, and personal appointments, and comply with THCI’s vehicle safety, maintenance, and cell phone use policies.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma, or equivalent
• 0-3 years working in human services, preferably with adults or children with disabilities
Direct Support Professional Contd.
• Required to have a “negative” response from the criminal repository.
• Must be at least 18 years of age for employment.
• If responsible for driving while on work time, must have a have a valid driver’s license, proof of registration, and insurable driving record.
• Basic fluency in oral and written English.
• State required training and/or certifications preferred
• Lifting up to 50 pounds
• Transferring clients from: (with or without mechanical lifts)
o Bed to floor/wheelchair
o Floor/wheelchair to bed
o In and out of shower/bath
o Into and out of vehicles
• Assisting clients in bathing/showering
• Changing client’s briefs
• Twisting – neck, waist
• Exposure to potential BBP
• Housecleaning duties, e.g., laundry, vacuuming, cleaning showers, tubs, dishes, taking out garbage
• Yard work, including mowing lawn, gardening
• Preparing meals
• Pushing, e.g. wheelchairs
• Assisting clients in taking their medications
• Conducting required evacuation drills, earthquake training, and other safety training
• Assisting with hand washing, changing soiled clothing, brushing teeth, assisting with bathroom responsibilities