Medical Assistant II
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Dover , DE 19901
Medical Assistant II
Position Number: 13.72xx.1472
Department: BHMG; ___________
Department Number: 72xx
Direct Supervisor: Office Supervisor or Practice Manager
Pay Grade: 020
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Approval Date of Job Description: 09-2019
Perform back-office duties under the direction of a physician to assist in the examination and treatment of patients. Responsibilities include obtaining patient history, vital signs and assisting physician in performing simple office procedures as trained. May also perform front-office duties necessary for the efficient day-to-day operation of an outpatient physician office practice. Mentor and train staff in the Medical Assistant I position.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities
1) Obtains patient history and measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height. Records information on patients’ charts. Documents chief complaints and all actions taken. Alerts the physician of problems, concerns and/or abnormalities.
2) Set up exam/procedure rooms, including instruments for minor procedures. Clean and sterilize instruments, equipment and clinical areas following defined procedures and protocols.
3) Assist the physician with simple patient procedures. Act as chaperone for all female patients.
4) Maintain patient record, treat as a legal document requiring proper documentation and strict confidentiality. Manages/maintains Joint Commission and CLIA requirements for in office logs.
5) Maintain inventories and orders medical supplies and materials.
6) Greet patient and families upon arrival and initiate all proper forms for the medical and financial record, obtaining the patient and/or responsible party’s signature as necessary.
7) Performs patient registration. Obtains insurance authorizations, following current insurance authorization procedures.
8) Schedule new patients and follow-up appointments. Schedule referrals to other providers as needed.
9) Maintain efficient patient flow
10) Assist with the financial billing responsibilities for the physician office
a) Posting of charges and payments into database
b) Verify charge sheet information against patient record
c) Notify appropriate personnel of denials
11) All other duties as assigned within the scope and range of job responsibilities
Minimum Education and Experience
Education: Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program; or 4 years of experience as a Medical Assistant in lieu of degree Graduate from an accredited Medical Assistant Program
Experience: 6 months of Medical Assistant experience; to include obtaining patient history, vital signs and simple office procedures. 1 year of experience in a physician office; to include obtaining patient history, vital signs and simple office procedures.
Computer/Software Knowledge: Basic computer literacy
Licensure/Certification HeartCode BLS MA Certification
Special Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
· Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written. Full command of the English language.
· Excellent customer service skills
· Knowledge of medical terminology
· Knowledge of medical procedures
· Must possess good work ethics
· Ability to be flexible
Environmental and Physical Requirements
· Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases.
· Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances.
· Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries, illnesses).
· Subject to varying and unpredictable situations.
· Handles emergency or crisis situations.
· Occasionally subjected to irregular hours.
· Works under pressure of time and accuracy, often under stressful conditions.
Occasional (1-33%): Crawling
Frequent (34-66%): Standing, sitting, bending, kneeling, climbing, gripping, carrying (10 lbs)
Constant (67-100%): Walking, reaching, lifting (20 lbs), pushing, pulling
Essential Functions: Standing, sitting, bending, kneeling, climbing, gripping, carrying, walking, reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling
Tasks not required: Crawling
Required Personal Protective Equipment:
Child (1 month – 12 years)
Adolescent (13-17 years)
Adult (18 – 64 years)
Geriatric (65+ years
Required Annual Mandatory Education
Fire Safety, Infection, Control right-to-know
Code Red Response/Fire Extinguisher
Back Safety Competency
Latex Allergy SLP
CPR-Patient Care Areas (every two years)