Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
New Castle, DE 19720
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Research and Development
Interested in working as an Embedded Software Development Engineer in our Development Engineering team by contributing with your software, electrical, or computer science/engineering background?
TA Instruments is known for its innovation and quality in its analytical instrumentation and is looking for an embedded Software Development Engineer for our Development Engineering Thermal Analysis Group to support its world-class reputation. This is a career-level opportunity for an innovative, creative, scientific engineering mind to take their software, electrical engineering, or computer science/engineering background and apply it in an engineering development environment to create new systems to make better measurements for scientists and engineers around the world to use to develop new and better products. This is an exciting and wide-ranging position for an individual with the motivation, curiosity and intellect to excel in the development of the leading edge of thermal analysis instrumentation in a best-in-class specialty measurement company. This position will be in the New Castle, DE office & reports to Peter Caulfield, Development Engineering Manager, Thermal AnalysisTypical tasks of the position include, but are not limited to
As an Embedded Software Development Engineer you will:
Research, design, develop and release/maintain microcontroller firmware and embedded software for thermal analysis instruments.
- Lead and/or participate in the design of the embedded code for new or existing systems.
- Provide firmware support for new electro-mechanical prototypes as part of ongoing new product development efforts.
- Define, design and implement product features and systems capabilities.
- Provide technical guidance and work with other programmers and engineers.
- Work with software test team and other teams to develop test tools, test cases, test procedures, and participate in testing and analysis at the system/sub-system level as needed.
- Interface with representatives from other departments within the company.
- Perform research, concept development and proof-of-concept prototypes for new instruments and instrument improvement projects.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplined engineering product development team within a formal development process covering the full development lifecycle.
- Support existing code and products by debugging, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving issues coming from internal and external customers.
- Work in collaboration with the agile team and appropriate experts to implement your designs.
- Provide work estimation and tracking information to support management decisions and planning.
- Keep a proactive attitude to insure continuous improvement of the software quality, work process and individual skills.
- Provide contributions to the application architecture with a focus on scalability, maintainability, security and performance.
- Provide product specific and technical support to internal and external users where appropriate.
The successful candidate will have a combination of knowledge, skills, and experience that would include the following
- BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related engineering field. MS or Ph.D is a plus.
- 5+ years of related experience with BS or MS Degree.
- Strong C/C++ programming experience in a team environment.
- Firmware/embedded software development experience in an embedded Linux/RTOS environment.
- Experience programming with low-level embedded interconnects and protocols such as SPI, I2C, CAN, Ethernet TCP/IP, USB, UART, etc.
- Experience debugging embedded code using tools such as JTAG debuggers, gdb, etc.
- Comfortable working and navigating in a Linux environment.
- Goal-oriented, self-motivated and able to be productive with very little supervision.
- Able to be successful in a schedule-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Must have good communication and documentation skills.
- Designs, develops and tests software programs, following established software development procedures, including but not limited to documentation of code, source safe control, and version assignment.
- Able to comprehend the scientific theories that guide the technical requirements of the instruments.
- Able to accurately estimate and plan work.
- Strong engineering aptitude for electronic/electrical computer systems.
Additional Desired Experience:
- DSP/Algorithm development.
- Scripting experience with Python and Linux shell.
- Experience with ARM7 based and ARM Cortex-M7 based microcontrollers.
- Experience developing simple UI in C.#, Java, etc.
- Background in either math, physics or chemistry, ability to understand scientific models, and implement them into working code.
For you it’s more than a job. Among other things we’re strong advocates of creating quality software, and using the latest testing methodologies to ensure we meet the expectations of our customers.
As the world’s leading supplier of thermal analysis and rheology systems, TA Instruments is a fast growing and highly profitable division of an S&P 500 company, priding itself in innovation and an uncompromising commitment to customer support. Our continued growth relies on recruiting and developing individuals that can make a positive contribution to our business. For additional information about our high technology products sold to Global Fortune 500 companies and leading academic institutions and government laboratories around the world, visit our website at www.tainstruments.com.
Headquartered in Delaware, with manufacturing sites in the US and Europe, we are represented in all of the major markets around the world with sales offices in the USA, Canada, Japan, India, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and across Europe.
TA Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of TA Instruments to recruit, hire, and retain the best-qualified workforce while meeting the Company’s commitment to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity. TA Instruments does not discriminate against any qualified candidate for employment because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, religious creed, age (40 or older), disability (reasonably accommodated by TA Instruments), medical condition, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other factor prohibited by law.