Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Millsboro, DE 19966
At Exelon, we’ve got a place for you!
Join the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
In this role you will be expected to perform engineering tasks as well as be a supervisor of a team of engineers and designers.
Responsible to lead, manage and provide leadership and supervision of the employees and the activities of Engineers, designers and Service Associates. Key responsibility and relationship will be to manage the design activities under the technical guidance of the design manager and to provide evaluation of employee performance in a joint effort. Ensure compliance and adherence to accepted standard engineering and design practices for New Business, facility relocation, capacity expansion and reliability programs for Utility assets. Responsibility includes design activities located throughout the Utility’s service territory. Responsible to ensure that all designs meet the design basis for equipment and systems on the Utility’s system. Identify training requirements and ensure compliance. Define and initiate continuous improvement processes to ensure projects are designed and built to established standards. Responsible for performance measurements and design audits for all engineered plans. Oversee design completion, resource coordination and timely execution of the reliability and capacity expansion programs defined by Asset Performance and Investment Strategy and Facility Relocation and New Business activities throughout the District. Communicate, execute and supervise the process to ensure all design packages are properly prepared and appropriately scoped prior to construction issuance. Ensure consistent application of design practices across the system, and coordinate feedback on required design and standards application changes. Responsible for the development and training of the internal design staff and management of the design department budget.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 × 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Provide supervision and direction to diverse and/or specialized disciplines of functions, which have significant operational or financial impact on the company to achieve safety, reliability and performance goals.
• Functionally focused balancing a mix of day-to-day operations and policy with tactical planning. Makes decisions on engineering design activities, which have a direct impact on the department and Utility Company operations with indirect impact on other departments.
• Ensure adherence to company standards, policies and procedures by work group employees.
• Enforce all applicable company, city, state and federal safety rules and regulations.
• Evaluate performance of department employees establishing standards, monitoring, and auditing to ensure the organization is meeting all responsibilities. Counsel and coach for improved performance.
• Supervise the scheduling of work with Work Management, and monitor work schedules of employees to provide timely updates for the Work Management process.
• Facilitate and coordinate necessary training for department and foster an attitude of continuous learning.
• Provide leadership and development of team members. Provide accurate and timely feedback regarding performance and operations. Conduct performance planning and appraisals. Identify opportunities for growth and learning. Manage the design department budget and design contractor interface.
• Develop and maintain an environment that fosters a high performance culture and a learning organization. Foster an environment that respects and promotes diversity and inclusion. Serves as a change agent for business initiatives and assures the human element is understood and considered. Assure timely recognition of employee contributions. Develops methods to assess communication effectiveness and implement continuous improvement initiatives.
Manage a work force of approximately 8-10 designers/drafters responsible for: the generation and modification of engineering drawings including schematics, single lines, wiring diagrams, cable tabulations, civil and mechanical drawings, and bill–of-materials; the selection and approval of all materials used to construct the Distribution and/or T&S system; the development and support of standard Distribution and T&S engineering design practices; and construction standards used in the construction of the Distribution and T&S system. Responsible for employee performance appraisals.
Responsible for the direct and/or indirect supervision of a contract workforce, of varying size, required to meet the engineering and design requirements for specialty projects outside the technical expertise of the workforce or when identified work exceeds the resource capability of the department.
Responsible for providing leadership for technical support for Distribution and/or T&S materials, design, maintenance and construction standards, regulatory codes to construction forces.
Develop, enhance and maintain key interface and effective collaboration with Engineering Work Management to ensure engineering and design activities are focused on optimizing construction output.
Understands that actions have direct impact on reliability and customer satisfaction goals, the distribution, and the public, political, and regulatory opinion of the company.
Meet with internal and contract project engineering staff as necessary to support Distribution and/or T&S engineering projects and initiatives. Manages actions of department to allow for the efficient design, construction, and maintenance of the Distribution and/or T&S system using a repetitive building block approach.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 5 – 8 years design experience in the Utility industry or equivalent external engineering experience.
- Experience demonstrating skill performing transmission and/or distribution engineering functions (for example, load flow and short circuit studies and simulations in Cyme or equivalent, voltage drop calculations, recloser and fuse coordination studies using CymeTCC or equivalent, developing settings for distribution reclosers and capacitors, conducting power quality investigations and analyzing power quality data, interpreting engineering standards and developing material lists, developing engineering and construction cost estimates). (electric operations)
- Experience with engineering design data and standards, preparing cost and quantity estimates and sketches including but not limited to work management systems (e.g, AS8), information or design software (e.g, Microstation, ESRI, GWD/GIS) or spreadsheets (e.g, Excel), or Scheduling software (e.g, Microsoft Project).
- Experience demonstrating skill serving as a representative in industry/external working groups and/or coordination teams (for example, provides expert testimony, participates in committees)