Food General Manager
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
PURPOSE: Exemplifies strong customer service in every aspect of the job. Directs and controls the operation of the Grocery Department, including supervising and training personnel to achieve departmental and store sales and profit objectives. Provides feedback and recommendations on operational issues and personnel decisions to Store Director and Division management.
- Occasional travel, including overnight travel, may be required. May be required to work nights, weekends and holidays. Scheduled hours will vary. Regular attendance is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Champions corporate and division customer service programs to meet or exceed division customer service goals. Instills a culture of excellent customer service in the department and throughout the store.
- Responsible for total store operations and directing associates throughout the store, as well as department managers, in the absence of or as needed by the Store Director (see Store Director job description).
- Primary duty is management of the Grocery Department. In that regard, plans, organizes and directs day-to-day operations of the Grocery department, including dairy and frozen food sections. Conducts daily inspections of all Grocery sections and initiates corrective measures to ensure compliance with product quality and product rotation standards. Maintains in stock conditions, and ensures compliance with code date standards; cleanliness, sanitation and safety standards; and security requirements. Controls pricing by following established division pricing guidelines, and ensuring compliance with the coupon and discount policies.
- Implements Company and Division operating and merchandising policies and practices. Controls merchandise shrink. Supervises and participates in store inventory counts. Establishes Grocery Department operating procedures as required for implementation of Company policies, Division directives and Store Director instructions. Implements emergency procedures in the event of equipment and computer software malfunctions or failure.
- Orders grocery product and maintains inventory levels according to Division directives. Supervises the processing of all reclamation. Maintains orderly and in stock conditions in back room, sales floor and all grocery department areas.
- Supervises receiving, storing, stocking, pricing and merchandising of all Grocery products. May utilize hand trucks, pallet jacks and the bailer. Properly accounts for merchandise received. Handles positive customer and vendor relations. Engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques. Monitors daily log sheet, purchase report, actual versus projected sales and labor.
- Prepares and displays appropriate product signage.
- Under supervision of the Store Director, directs the work of all Grocery Department associates. Schedules Grocery Department associates to ensure adequate coverage and service levels. Directs, motivates, trains and participates in the hiring of all Grocery Department personnel. Ensures that all associates are instructed in the proper performance of work duties and are knowledgeable about Company policies and procedures.
- Monitors associate performance and effectively recommends personnel action such as hiring, firing, layoff, promotion, demotion, and disciplinary action. Builds and maintains associate morale. Resolves associate complaints where appropriate and reports action taken to the Store Director. Immediately reports any potential serious policy violations, for matters including but not limited to working off the clock, harassment, food safety and sanitation, discrimination, etc., to the Store Director and assists in appropriate handling. Identifies and trains associates with high potential for advancement opportunities.
- Understands the store and Grocery Department Profit and Loss statement, and plans department promotions accordingly. Frequently communicates sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities to department associates to ensure positive results.
- Answers and responds to incoming telephone calls appropriately. Receives and appropriately resolves customer complaints and reports to the Store Director as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality concerning associates, store sales, and Company information. Maintains accurate department records.
- Responsible for performing all job duties with honesty and integrity and in compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Attends required training and sales meetings.
- Provides feedback and recommendations to Store Director or District Manager and Division management teams on operational issues.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperatures of approximately -20° Fahrenheit, 28° Fahrenheit, 35° Fahrenheit, while handling products in freezers, coolers and display cases and temperatures of up to 400° Fahrenheit while handling products in ovens, hot cases and fryers. Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor environment with varying temperatures.