Composites Design Manager, Center for Composite Materials
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Newark, DE 19716
University of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 494843
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Program/Project Management, Full Time
This is a soft funded position requiring U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Pay Grade: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Center for Composite Materials (CCM) is a soft-funded research center within the College of Engineering, has an annual budget in excess of $10M that is derived entirely from external sources, including grants, industrial contracts, and consortium membership fees. The mission of the Center is to 1) conduct basic and applied research, 2) educate scientists and engineers, and 3) transition technology to industry.
• Supports the development of commercial applications and the transfer of technology developed at CCM to government and industry sponsors and industrial consortium members.
• Provides direct support to CCM programs through the design, fabrication, modification and evaluation of parts, assemblies, components, sub-assemblies, tooling and final composite products.
• Analyzes and recommends design changes for ease of manufacture, cost reduction and quality improvement. Develops model concepts and approaches as an individual contributor and act independently on technical matters.
• Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art science, technology, equipment and/or systems.
• Provides technical guidance to others on project related tasks.
• Participates as a significant contributor on applications and technology transfer tasks and projects.
• Generates engineering solid models for both parts and assemblies and provides engineering documentation in the form of ANSI Y14.5 drawings.
• Prepares and presents engineering detail at conceptual, preliminary and critical design reviews.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Prepares manufacturing travelers, standard manufacturing practices, and standard operating procedures.
• Provides occasional project management support on small projects.
• Associate’s degree in Engineering or related discipline with emphasis on composites development, and six to eight years related industry experience.
• Experience with composite design and prototype fabrication.
• Ability to assist in performing trade studies for composite applications.
• Ability to independently perform conceptual/preliminary design of simple composite structures.
• Experience using the VARTM process.
• Familiarity with other composite processing methods to include RTM, compression molding, and filament winding.
• Familiarity with Basic ASTM test methods relevant for composite materials.
• Knowledge of composite standard manufacturing and operational practices. Experience with CAD technology (solid modeling, part and assembly design, drawing creation).
• Proficiency with Windows operating system/Microsoft office suite.
• Ability to work in team environment and set own priorities based on project schedule.
• Ability to train and coordinate engineering and research efforts with student interns.
• Ability to set clear design objectives, define methods of approach, and provide project deliverables in a timely manner based on project plan.
• Mechanical inclination to include skill at using basic shop equipment, skill at using composite process equipment, and commitment to following safety standards.
• Ability to read and create engineering drawings – ANSI Y14.5.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to design documentation (reports, drawings, etc.) and engineering presentations.
• Ability to program, setup, and operate computer numerically controlled equipment is a plus.
• Experience in designing and fabricating composite tooling is a plus.
• Ability to interact with internal and external customers.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/pnpcqr8c9rcvzzx3