Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Laurel, DE 19956
Ensures the health, safety and welfare of the children, staff and volunteers during bus transportation to and from the center and on field trips. Supports the extension of classroom learning environments on the bus.
1. Drives a bus and possibly other vehicles.
2. Ensures children are safely transported on the bus by checking seat belts, ensuring car seats are appropriately installed and monitor that children stay seated.
3. Checks the bus to make sure all children have exited following each route.
4. Ensures that children are released only to a parent or designated person, in accordance with release policy.
5. Assist the Bus Monitors in maintaining a positive social environment that supports the extension of classroom learning environments on the bus.
6. The person in this position must have the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
7. Protects the safety of children by implementing active supervision techniques to ensure no child is left alone or unsupervised at any time.
8. Follows all state, federal and corporate regulations and rules including, but not limited to, limiting the number of riders to the legal capacity of the vehicle, ensuring an appropriate staff/child ratio on the vehicle and ensuring children are in car seats.
9. Assists in establishing and maintaining bus routes, deviating only in emergency situations.
10. Maintains accurate vehicle attendance records and other required paperwork.
11. Cleans the interior and exterior of vehicles.
12. Ensures emergency supplies, safety and other equipment are maintained and properly stored and mounted.
13. Ensures the bus is operating correctly including, but not limited to, checking the vehicle communication system, conducting pre-and post-trip inspections and following vehicle maintenance schedules.
14. Communicates in a positive manner with staff, parents and children.
15. Bus Drivers escort children to/from their classroom and convey any messages between parents and the teacher, as well as any incidents on the bus.
16. Bus Drivers need to collaborate with the Bus Monitor and classroom staff to teach children safe riding practices and safety procedures on and off the bus. Conducts regular bus evacuation drills.
17. Participates in staff meetings, committees and training sessions.
18. Perform all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
19. Works in cooperation with supervisor to develop and document progress on professional development plan. Actively engages in professional development activities to increase qualifications in accordance with Corporation’s Core Values.
20. May perform lawn maintenance or minor facility maintenance/repairs.
This position has no direct supervisory duties but is expected to train or explain work procedures to others.