Medical Interpreter - Spanish
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Newark, DE 19713
Posting Job Description
Language Services at Christiana Care Health System is committed to ensuring safe, high quality care for our culturally diverse population. Christiana Care’s Language Services offers a full spectrum of language services including medical interpreting done by qualified professionals for individual with limited English proficiency (LEP) or who are deaf.
Christiana Care’s Language Services is currently seeking Per Diem Medical Interpreters. These positions are per diem which means the interpreter is called when increased patient demands require additional staff to provide services. This position requires availability during evening and weekends. This position is designed to help our staff convey information and services to our vast and growing community.
The ideal candidates will have expert proficiency in speaking and communicating fluently. You will be required to complete and pass competency testing in the language. A minimum of 40hrs Medical Interpreter training is required. In addition, the ideal candidates must be extremely flexible in availability for on-call and emergency needs at the hospitals.
The primary function is to serve as a medical interpreter for patients and staff, rendering information accurately and completely between English and other languages in compliance with all the CC Language Services and CC hospital policies and procedures, particularly relating to patient confidentiality and informed consent, following the NCIHC Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
Key components of the position are to provide accurate and qualified interpretation between limited English proficiency (LEP) patients and English speaking healthcare providers to facilitate successful health outcomes:
- Serve as a resource to both patients and providers to contribute to successful outcomes.
- Explain CC linguistic and cultural resources to both patients and providers.
- Provide face to face, telephonic or video interpretation for encounters, including and not limited to:Medical appointments
Psychiatric and social work consultations
Explanation of tests and procedures
End of life
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Fluency in Foreign Language and English.
- Proof of Medical interpreter training- a minimum 40 hour interpreter training program or a college degree in interpreting required.
- High school diploma or GED required. An associate’s degree or college work in any area related to science or human services highly desired.
- One to two years’ experience in a healthcare setting as a medical interpreter.
Christiana Care Health System is an equal opportunity employer, firmly committed to prohibiting discrimination, whose staff is reflective of its community, and considers qualified applicants for open positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.