Sr. SQL Server DBA - R00833
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19801
Provides Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) support to applications supported by assigned department. Works with Application Teams, Team Leads and other Database Administrators to design and specify RDBMS solutions based on standard offerings to support development of new or enhancements of existing applications. Serves as principal RDBMS solution designer for small to large/complex (size/risk) application projects, including business critical applications, using analytical skills, technical skills, available technology and tools. Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for RDBMS-related initiatives, discretionary projects, compliance/regulatory requirements and system changes for Application Database Services (ADBS) supported applications and department-wide initiatives.
- Provide technical leadership.
- Complete and oversee basic to complex database analysis, design and development efforts.
- Develop plans for database implementation, data source integration and data archiving and recovery.
- Manage, direct, oversee and/or review execution of small to large size/risk project plans on assigned applications and ensure complete understanding of tasks and dependencies and mitigation of issues.
- Contribute to advanced, complex technical projects or business issues requiring state-of-the-art technical or industry knowledge.
- Maintain a strong functional understanding of supported applications. Maintain a current understanding of the business environment supported to provide expert guidance for technical, business and operational impacts associated with a project or production problem.
- Recommend RDBMS designs based on business requirements, technology roadmap, RDBMS functionality, knowledge of interfacing technology and clear understanding of customer expectations.
- Evaluate and understand complex interrelationships and effects among RDBMS, interfacing applications and operating systems.
- Provide highly analytical consulting and leadership in identifying and implementing new uses of database technologies to assist business units in meeting strategic objectives.
- Prepare thorough and clear technical specifications, and update systems, standards and RDBMS process documentation.
- Prepare and review assessments to include required tasks, estimated time frames and effort for small to large size/risk scope project.
- Build positive client relationships by addressing client needs in a manner that safeguards their business and customers, with minimal complexity, risks and costs.
- Build rapport within the organization and across other technical teams.
- Assist with coordination of annual disaster recovery exercises and remediate issues.
- Assist others on project execution and production support for all applications and project sizes.
- Work with internal and external application and technology stakeholders to review status of initiatives, compliance/regulatory changes, planned or potential vendor changes and contractual and/or system maintenance changes.
- Ensure identification and resolution of issues and concerns related to discretionary enhancement requests, application reliability changes and/or production problem resolution.
- Identify new technology that increases technical support efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide functional feedback to internal application owners and technology stakeholders on current or proposed RDBMS to extent it supports predefined business needs.
- Identify performance and effectiveness enhancement opportunities and recommend new policies and procedures that support improvement.
- Participate in ADBS Center of Excellence teams’ goals and deliverables.
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibilities:
The job holder works under supervision of a Technology Manger and is responsible for maintaining a strong degree of technical RDMS knowledge and contributing to solution design, departmental strategies and resource allocations of the department. Responsibilities of the position may include problem resolution, systems development and day-to-day activities. This position assumes responsibility for contributing to the growth and development of less experienced personnel. The position delivers small group training/brown bag to increase team proficiency and technical development and provides backup to more experienced personnel as required. The job holder may be called upon to serve as a technical representative on committees, ad-hoc projects, etc. The position interacts, on a regular basis with Technology staff and application teams and leadership, as well as vendors.
Education and Experience Required:
Associate’s degree and 6 years’ RDBMS experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 8 years’ higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 6 years’ RDBMS experience
Proficiency with RDBMS tools and functions
Prior experience working on multiple small to large projects of low to high complexity
Experience working with large system and RDBMS enhancements, conversions and production problem resolution
Experience working with others to connect disparate ideas into cohesive solutions
Excellent problem-solving skills to assist in issue resolution
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Excellent analytical skills
Excellent decision-making skills
Strong organizational and time management skills
Strong lateral thinking skills
Good presentation skills
Education and Experience Preferred:
Minimum of 3 years’ experience with Bank applications, framework, business needs and RDBMS direction and framework
Exposure to the Bank’s standards, business plan and strategic objectives
Capable of mentoring and leading RDBMS project analysis, design, development, troubleshooting and tuning efforts
Mastery level understanding of single RDBMS skills, tools and functions with strong knowledge of operating systems
Previous experience in banking RDBMS support
Ability to understand businesses supported and their terminology
Ability to encourage team work and serve as role model
Ability to understand technical, business and operational impacts of a project or problem