Sr / Executive Director, Target Discovery
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19803
Sr / Executive Director, Target Discovery
Incyte Corporate Headquarters
Incyte is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of novel medicines to meet serious unmet medical needs in oncology and inflammation and autoimmunity. Incyte is committed to the rigorous pursuit of research and development excellence to improve the lives of patients, make a difference in health care, and build sustainable value.
The Company strives to discover and develop first-in-class and best-in-class medicines-advancing a diverse portfolio of large and small molecules.
Job Summary (Primary function)
This position will report directly to the Vice President, Small Molecule Discovery Biology and Preclinical Pharmacology and will serve as a member of the senior preclinical pharmacology leadership team. This individual will be part of the small molecule discovery preclinical pharmacology department within the Incyte Research Institute, a world-class organization of nearly 300 scientists dedicated to the discovery and advancement of novel therapeutic approaches to revolutionize the treatment of cancer.
The Preclinical Pharmacology organization is currently comprised of ~40 highly talented drug discovery scientists that have built one of the most robust and innovative pipelines in the biopharmaceutical industry, with 15 small molecules currently in or entering clinical development.
- Leadership of Incyte’s new target discovery efforts. This is a key position within discovery to build a robust early portfolio, covering Targeted Therapies in Oncology and Immuno-Oncology, as well as Inflammation/Non-Oncology.
- Formulating appropriate strategies to identify and prioritize targets/pathways that leverage Incyte’s strength and build the foundation for next generation of innovative therapies.
- Scientific and operational leadership of PI nominated targets, including peer review processes and prioritization discussions with discovery leadership.
- Leadership of various functional, genomic, chemical, and phenotypic screens (internal and external)
- Supervision of literature mining and big data mining, including published reports, published CRISPR/Dropout screen data in-vitro/in-vivo and Informatics analysis.
- Shared leadership of the SM pharmacology department. Accountable for creating appropriate strategy and making resource/personnel decisions with other department heads.
- Building collaborative relationships with key stakeholders outside of the department, including clear communications to create synergy.
- Management of external research efforts, including CROs, Academic partnerships/alliances and Sponsored Research Agreements.
- Line manager for a talented group of scientists
- Mentor for junior scientists to enhance their skills and develop them as future leaders.
Qualifications (Minimal acceptable level of education, work experience, and competency)
- PhD in biological sciences including molecular/cell biology, pharmacology, or biochemistry with focus on oncology.
- 10+ years of experience in industry settings. Demonstrated track record of target mining and validation to initiate successful drug discovery programs is required. As this is a senior leadership position, as successful candidate is also expected to be familiar with late stage optimization processes, including IND filing/early development.
- Maintain an excellent grasp on emerging areas of cancer research and new therapeutic targets;
- Competency in cancer genomics, target mining/validation and 3D/in-vivo functional screens
- Experience in managing/leading external collaborations with both academic and industry partners
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required.
Incyte Corporation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We appreciate, celebrate, and thrive on one another’s differences and strengths and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. By valuing diversity of backgrounds and perspectives and prohibiting all forms of harassment, we are able to promote a collaborative and innovative work environment in which everybody can contribute to their fullest potential.