Principal App Sys Engineer - 90261215 - Wilmington
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19801
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Principal Applications Systems Engineer – Ops Tech Back End will support and develop/enhance the critical distributed applications used by the Operations Department.
- On-call production environment support or revenue generating applications.
- Troubleshoot production issues and manage services related knowledge base.
- Develop and manage continuous integration and continuous deployment for all systems.
- Build application packages for production and non-production environment, manages build configuration.
- Lead, participate and manage the service change, transition and continuous improvement.
- Documents changes to architecture, design, integration. Maintains application support document repositories. Helps develop and maintain system and software architecture diagrams and all service artefacts.
- Support testing activities on non-production environment. Management of application configuration releases.
- Monitor and support all the services, systems, and performance metrics to meet the SLAs. Support a culture of continuous improvement and maturity.
- Application support, deployment, upgrades and minor enhancements supporting Amtrak’s Sales Channels and revenue application systems.
- Verification of application, shake out testing.
- Manages the incidents, changes, and problems to deliver high quality services and meet customer needs. Perform installation and deployment of new modules/services, upgrades, and fixes.
- Provide high quality services at the optimal cost to customers. Measures the service performance using metrics and implements improvements as needed.
- Devises and ensures the adherence to quality standards and procedures. Reviews modules for quality assurance and ensures compliance with application architecture standards and SLAs.
- Collaborate with various teams such as development, Testing, DBA, and Middleware in order to implement and support applications.
- Responsible to implement, enhance and support key applications in the Train Operations space, supporting transportation, engineering and mechanical departments.
- 6+ years of IT experience.
- 4+ years production application development/support experience in a high availability environment. On call support experience in 24×7 environment.
- 3+ years hands on experience in Java/J2EE and Database level application troubleshooting.
- 2+ years’ experience in application servers such as WebSphere, JBoss, TC.
- 2+ years of experience in continuous integration and continuous deployment tools such as Hudson/Jenkins, Cruise Control, Continuum, Puppet, Chef etc.
- 2+ years of experience in Unix/Linux and Windows.
- Experience in deployment and support of applications in Cloud environment. Preferably AWS.
- 2+ years of on call experience supporting critical application in architecturally complex environment.
- Application development experience.
- Knowledge in troubleshooting production application issues such as complete outage, functional issues, performance issues, root cause analysis. Strong understanding of troubleshooting tools and techniques in Java/J2EE production environment.
- Experience in troubleshooting and debugging of applications on AWS platform.
- Experience with system development lifecycle (SDLC) and agile methodologies for enterprise level applications implementation and custom development programs.
- Experience handling build systems. Scripting and maintaining build environments.
- Developing and maintaining scripts to automate deployment and other tasks.
- Demonstrated relevant business work experience with business processes and functions served by Sales Channels and revenue technology. Some related experience with e-Commerce and Revenue channels applications; troubleshooting, diagnosing and supporting these applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- Java Environment Administration and Management in SOA.
- Cloud application management and deployment such as AWS. Knowledge on cloud infrastructure services.
- Deployment, validation, integration of MQ, Oracle/SQL databases, SOAP, REST Web services.
- Administration, deployment of Application on servers such as WebSphere, J-Boss, TC servers.
- Strong internal and external customer focus and collaboration/communication skill.
- Outstanding conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills in a multi-system, complex operating environment. Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
- Familiarity of Application programming languages and Web technologies.
- Knowledge of source control software such as sub version.
- Web Service standards, XML, XSLT, SOAP, SOA, Security and Performance Tuning.
- Experience in working on Agile projects.
- Knowledge of the scripting language.
- Knowledge of IBM MQ.
- Understanding of Oracle, SQL Server.
- Solid understanding of Application security, Databases and MQ Messaging and Broker.
- Technical Writing (Knowledge Articles, interface documents, etc.)
- Have strong internal and external customer focus and collaboration/communication skill.
- Experience in analyzing the heap dumps, thread dumps, GC cycles using profiling tools.
- Demonstrate skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- 5+years owning/ managing software application(s) and support staff that support key operational business processes.
- Experienced in software development lifecycle, best practices, road mapping and identifying opportunities where software can be leveraged to meet or enhance business processes and needs.
- IBM WebSphere or JBoss certification.
- Fundamental networking knowledge.
- Knowledge of VMWare
- Knowledge of network storage.
- Predicts emerging customer needs and develops innovative solutions to meet them.
- Familiarity with unit testing and code-coverage tools.
- Understanding of System and application monitoring tools such as sites scope or App Dynamics.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology|| Information Technology
Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.