Campus Recruitment - 2020 Data Scientists / Analytics Manage
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Dover, DE 19904
American Express – 2020 Credit & Fraud Risk Full-Time *Data Scientists / Analytics Managers / Product Managers*
Purposeful, ambitious, insatiable, analytical, collaborative and courageous are the hallmarks of our Credit and Fraud Risk team. This critical team is responsible for managing enterprise risks throughout the customer lifecycle, across our consumer and commercial businesses, and across all our global products. We develop industry-first data capabilities, build profitable decision-making frameworks, create machine learning-powered predictive models, and improve customer servicing strategies. This team has delivered industry-leading results year after year while enabling profitable growth and delivering a best-in-class customer experience.
This team is structured under five core functions:
1. Credit Risk Strategy: Monitor credit portfolios and optimize profit-based risk management decisions at all stages of the customer credit lifecycle
2. *Fraud Risk Strategy: *Develop fraud prevention strategies on behalf of our customers
3. *Decision Science: *Build predictive models using AI/Machine Learning for all portfolios and products
4. *Risk Capabilities: *Develop technical solutions and capabilities to manage data and execute credit and fraud risk strategies
5. *Operation Risk Excellence: *Create and execute operational risk strategies to maintain an effective control environment
What Type of Work Will I Do
You will work in a highly dynamic and exciting environment working closely with colleagues in other Risk Management teams, Marketing, Finance, Servicing, Legal, Compliance, Banking, and Technology to create world-class analytical solutions.
The key responsibilities include:
- Develop and continuously enhance predictive models, strategies, processes, and controls for mitigating credit risk exposure and preventing fraud – this can include using advanced statistical and Machine Learning techniques such as Gradient Boosting Machine, deep learning, and lookalike modeling.
- Conduct quantitative analysis to decide the thresholds within which consumers and businesses can access funds (for example: who is approved for a card, how much credit line do they receive, and when they swipe their card, is their transaction approved?)
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new data sources and capabilities to identify emerging credit trends and uncover new fraud patterns
- Work in close partnership with American Express Technology to translate the needs of business owners/stakeholders and manage delivery of the Product roadmap and deploy next generation risk management capabilities, designed for long-term adaptability
- Design customer communication and servicing strategies to support risk management strategies, ensuring a positive experience across every customer touchpoint
- Maintain an effective control environment and respond to operational breakdowns with discipline
What We Are Looking For
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS or PhD) in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, Computer Science, Econometrics or Physics (PhD is required for the role in Decision Science)
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Experience working with statistical and data mining techniques, including regression analysis and Machine Learning tools for pattern recognition and predictive analytics
- Ability to handle large datasets using SAS, SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language
- Ability to handle large datasets in a Hadoop environment (required for Decision Science role)
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
- Currently enrolled in a full-time graduate degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2019 and June 2020
Life at American Express
American Express is known for backing our customers to help them achieve their goals and dreams, big and small. At American Express, we’re changing the way people live and work through meaningful projects with real-world impact. When you join our team you can make a difference by improving the everyday lives of customers around the world.
Growing great leaders is one of the things that sets American Express apart. Every colleague has the opportunity-and is encouraged-to take their personal leadership to the next level through a wide variety of leadership and learning programs.
Our colleagues and their families feel supported at every stage of their lives. We provide resources and benefits that help support their physical, financial, and emotional well-being, such as our award-winning global corporate wellness program, Healthy Living, and many others including: 20 weeks of paid parental leave (to be eligible, employees must complete at least on year of continuous service immediately prior to the birth or placement of the child), health (dental and vision) and life insurance, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match. Some of our roles even offer flexible work arrangements so you can work how it makes sense for you, without compromising our commitment to our colleagues, customers, and shareholders.
Creating an inclusive culture is both a part of who we are and what we do together. We value and embrace the diversity of thought, backgrounds and experiences of all our colleagues. Through our 15 Employee Networks, participants can broaden their associations with other colleagues while expanding their knowledge of the business. American Express is a place where being yourself matters.
Why Work at American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them guidance and support.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Learn more about our Credit & Fraud Risk group at American Express by visiting https://careers.americanexpress.com/students/
With a job at American Express, almost anything is possible. Apply now!
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Title: Campus Recruitment – 2020 Data Scientists / Analytics Managers / Product Managers Full-Time Opportunities in Credit & Fraud Risk
Requisition ID: 19016434