Sr Lab Technician, Biological Sciences
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Newark, DE 19716
University of Delaware
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Job No: 494165
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 27N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under limited supervision, assists faculty members and/or lab coordinators in implementing departmental laboratory activities. The principal emphasis is on providing support and oversight for Biology student laboratories. Independent judgment and thorough understanding of the application of scientific techniques are required.
• Responsible for preparation and implementation of multiple lab courses.
• Prepares experiments, assembles equipment, constructs and demonstrates use of teaching apparatus.
• Prepare chemical and reagent solutions, extracts, and dilutions to specifications.
• Prepare microbiological media (agars, broths, reagents) to supply teaching laboratories.
• Interpret instructions and formulate in the preparation of media and equipment set-ups.
• Stays current on technical subjects, practices and developments in introductory level courses.
• Responsible for return and proper disposal for all solutions, chemicals, and materials used in laboratory exercises. Maintain safe/clean environment of teaching laboratories.
• Coordinates with faculty and/or preceptors for organization, development and implementation of lab courses.
• Assist with development and testing of new investigative labs and new equipment. Coordinates with staff members for production of lab equipment.
• Assists with the writing of protocols for student experiments for the lab manuals and syllabi.
• Tests and modifies laboratory set-ups for examinations.
• Attends and conducts certain aspects of laboratory staff meetings during the Fall and Spring semesters, and during the Winter and two Summer Sessions.
• Maintains laboratory equipment which may include troubleshooting and making minor repairs; ensures equipment is in working order.
• Maintains and controls inventories; initiates orders; receives checks and stocks all orders of supplies and/or parts and equipment.
• Keeps records and writes reports as required.
• Responsible for safety protocols applicable to course laboratories and compliance particularly adhering to the animal use protocol.
• Coordinates with University Offices for delivery and maintenance of all plants and animals for use in lab exercises;
• Observes, monitors and assists graduate and undergraduate students regarding good safety practices with particular attention to monitoring students in the use of toxic or corrosive materials.
• Responds to student inquiries.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
• Bachelor’s degree in a field of science, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Proficient computer skills and experience with teaching laboratory equipment and software.
• Knowledge of instructional methods.
• Mechanical aptitude.
• Familiarity with use of appropriate supplies, tools and equipment.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work effectively with faculty members, preceptors and students.
Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
• With or without assistance, must be able to routinely lift up to 50 pounds.
• Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials.
• Must be the able to accurately discern colors and measure laboratory reagents.
• May require a valid vehicle operator’s license and be able to work evening, weekend and holidays.
• In certain units, employment is dependent upon passing a University-specified medical evaluation related to the use of respiratory protection equipment.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/cgfntf847p429vnb