Senior Social Worker I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19808
Medical social worker is responsible for providing case management services to patients in a medical social services program area including geriatric patients and or patients with disabilities of a physical, emotional, or psychiatric nature.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct casework services which includes emotional and social assessments, problem identification and develops a service plan to assist patient and family in dealing with medical conditions, following medical recommendations and achieving maximum social and health adjustment
- Assesses financial eligibility of families seeking financial, medical or related services. Provides referral and follow up services to alternative sources for ineligible applicants. Assists patients in obtaining same.
- Provides individual and family counseling to patients; obtains and coordinates public, private or community medical, social and therapy services to meet patient needs.
- Reviews patient’s case history and evaluates patient’s potential to benefit from further medical and social treatments and services. Discusses case progress with multidisciplinary treatment team as required and prepares recommendations and referrals based on findings.
- Prepares social histories, patient progress reports, evaluations and summaries; Prepares and maintains a variety of records and files pertaining to caseload and files.
- Provides medical social work consultation to patients, program staff, private medical professionals and/or hospital social service departments.
This is the advanced level responsible for directly providing specialized case management services and for social services consultation services to patients and professional medical care staff in the public and private sector.
- This level is differentiated from the lower level of this series by the greater independent judgement and the emphasis on providing consultative services
- Participates as a treatment team member to provide a social assessment and plan as part of the overall patient medical plan. Provides follow-up with patient and community resources to ensure coordination and consistency of medical/social treatment.
- Performs assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices; reports to supervisor, in a timely manner, any unsafe activities, conditions, hazards, or safety violations that may cause injury to oneself, other employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, LCSW preferred with at least two years’ experience of social work in a medical setting OR Master’s in Social Work (MSW) with anticipation of obtaining an LCSW within two years of job offering.
- Experience in case management which includes assessing, planning, developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluations options and services to meet an individual’s human service needs using effective counseling or interviewing techniques as well as other available resources such as service plans or case management systems.
- Experience in making recommendations as part of a patient’s service plan such as clinical treatment, counseling, or determining/referring to eligibility for health or human services/benefits.
- Experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures
- Experience in narrative report writing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
The intent of the listed knowledge, skills and abilities is to give a general indication of the core requirements for all positions in the class series; therefore, the KSA’s listed are not exhaustive or necessarily inclusive of the requirements of every position in the class.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of medical social work.
- Knowledge of the social factors affecting the disease process or health concerns
- Knowledge of case management practices and techniques
- Knowledge of individual and family counseling methods and techniques
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources for educational, health and social services
- Skill in interviewing to obtain client case histories
- Skill in counseling individuals and families
- Ability to coordinate case management for multidisciplinary treatment teams in regards to social aspects of the clients in medical or health problem
- Ability to provide training and guidance in the resolution of medical social work case management problems
- Knowledge of social work methods and techniques used to eliminate adverse factors impacting on the health care, management process of clients
- Skill in providing consultative services
Driving to community sites and patients’ homes
Christiana Care Health System is an equal opportunity employer, firmly committed to prohibiting discrimination, whose staff is reflective of its community, and considers qualified applicants for open positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.