Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19806
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience/Licensure/Certification/Skills):
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Six months to 1 year experience in a hospital or physician’s office desired.
- Computer literacy required.
- Familiarity with Medical Terminology desired.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to perform all skills and competencies as defined in the US skills checklist within 3 months of employment.
Maintains Unit Clinical and Secretarial Duties
- Offers assistance, handles inquiries and supplies information to physicians, visitors, patients and hospital personnel in a courteous professional manner.
- Organizes work to maintain an efficient flow through the department.
- Answers the patient call system promptly and courteously. Use the approved system for alerting staff of patient needs.
- Coordinates and processes efficiently the admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
- Enters departmental charges appropriately, accurately and efficiently.
- Assists in the orientation/training of new Unit Secretaries.
- Possesses good organizational skills and works in an organized manner.
- Charts reports promptly (x-ray reports, EKG reports). Maintains charts with adequate number of additional chart forms.
- Performs other related duties specific to unit as delegated by Nursing Unit Manager (Payroll, and refrigerator).
- Maintains policy and procedure manuals and Medical Dental roster book.
- Updates daily physician on call schedule for the department.
Demonstrates Technical Competence
- Transcribes orders accurately, efficiently and thoroughly. Labels orders and forms correctly, uses correct forms, notes information on all forms accurately and thoroughly.
- Faxes orders to Pharmacy promptly.
- Enters information accurately via computer. Understands and uses computer efficiently.
- Practices principles of safe, proper body mechanics.
- Understands and completes Nursing Order Entry accurately and efficiently.
- Relays information promptly and accurately.
- Places telephone calls to physicians on a timely basis.
- Practices Stewardship when ordering unit supplies, stocks work area consistently.
- Maintains printers and fax machine. Attempts to resolve and prevent problems. Reports repairs as necessary.
- Communicates discharge information to admitting promptly.
- Labels the Universal Charge Sheet, distributes, collects and send to Sterile Processing Department (SPD).
- Keeps track of movement of patients
Maintains Work Environment
- Takes responsibility for the appearance of the work area.
- Maintains systematic and convenient arrangement of equipment and supplies at the work area.
- Appraises systems for supplies at the work area and
- make recommendations for change.
- Complies with established hospital policies and accepts responsibility to keep self informed of changes through communication book, newsletters, and other unit based communication tools.
- Undertakes additional tasks when own assignments are completed.
- Readily responds to requests and adapts role and schedule to changing needs of unit and co-workers.
- Provides appropriate coverage for co-workers during mealtimes and breaks. Schedules times for breaks and lunch with a charge nurse at the start of the shift and notifies RN upon departure and arrival.
- Complies with standards of safety, infection control, and Heart Saver certification, along with unit-based competencies. Keeps Continuing Education and Competency Training Record current and updated.
- Customer Service
- Accurately relays information interdepartmentally and intradepartmentally.
- Transfers telephone calls as indicated.
- Answers the telephone within (3) rings.
- Cordially responds to telephone calls, identifies self and says, “How may I help you”.
- Operates department intercom according to department guidelines.
- Maintains a good working relationship with physicians.
- Takes ownership of the customer’s problems and follows through on the problem by using appropriate chain of command.
- Looks up when a patient, patient’s family or visitor approaches.
- Keeps a quiet environment.
- Is kind, friendly and takes a minute to be helpful.
- Exceeds our customer’s expectations. Asks, ""Is there anything I can do for you?""
- Greets all customers arriving in the department.
Job Number: 00136140
Location: Wilmington, DE
Organization Name: St. Francis Healthcare
Facility: SFDE – St. Francis Healthcare Service
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Day Shift