Head of Data Strategy
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19806
Job Title:Data Strategy Director
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
About Barclays US Consumer Bank (BCUSB)
Barclays US Consumer Bank is one of the fastest-growing top 10 credit card issuers and online banks in the United States. The bank creates customized, co-branded credit card programs for some of the country’s most successful travel, entertainment, retail and affinity institutions, and offers its own branded credit cards, online savings accounts and CDs, and personal loans. For more information, please visit BarclaysUS.com.
About Customer Experience & Strategic Analytics
This business area is responsible for managing Customer Experience & Strategic Analytics across all of Barclays US Consumer Bank. Strategic Analytics champions the company’s ambitious growth agenda by utilizing data and advanced analytics and converting it into actionable energy. The Customer Experience area champions initiatives to improve and exceed expectations for our customers.
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Overall purpose of role
The role owner will drive world-class Data strategy across consumer card, business card, deposits and consumer lending lines of business. This entails working with Technology and governance groups, to design, deliver, and then co-manage a world-class data environment, enabling top-level analytics and reporting capabilities to drive our business results across all business, all within governance requirements. He/she will effectively lead a team of 10-15 highly-skilled professionals including Data experts, Big Data Engineers, and other data experts to execute upon this strategy. Moreover, the role owner will be a catalyst in developing and implementing best practices in Data across the business by collaborating with other bank functions such as Marketing, Fraud, Credit Risk, Model Governance and Finance. The role will be underpinned by a culture of both local and global collaboration, innovation, and high performance.
In addition to the above, the individual will be expected to help drive business solutions across the following areas across our Branded and Partnership Business:
***Data Strategy:Collaborate with Technology, Data Governance, and business teams to identify data needs across the organisation and develop best-in-class solutions/products for every line of business using traditional and non-traditional sources of data and information.
*MIS/Reporting:Partnering across all business units including Finance, Risk, Marketing, and Model Governance to ensure that all internal and external MIS and reporting needs are met appropriately and efficiently, including the stand-up and ongoing management of self-serve capabilities through a business intelligence tool where possible.
***Innovation:Acting as a thought leader in driving innovation in data strategy and adoption of non-traditional Data assets and innovative technology platforms as the macro-landscape evolves.
*Your Role (Key Accountabilities)
Strategy and Plan:Lead the development and ongoing management of the analytical strategies that align to Board approved Purpose, Values, Risk Appetite and Policies. Provide clear direction on strategic goals, translating and prioritising them into business and performance measures. Lead short, medium, and long term planning.
*Leadership and Execution:Lead, manage and organise the Data Strategy function to execute upon business strategies.
- Act as a collaborative and innovative leader across required functions to deliver upon the objective – leading a cross-functional team that includes members of Technology, Data Governance, and other business areas, and forming alliances with Data areas globally and across business lines to share best practices and partner on globally-leading capabilities.
System of Internal Control: Design and implement an effective system of controls. This should include a clear organisation structure, formal system of delegations of authority and accountability and a framework of supervision for ensuring:
o The Barclays Policies are implemented and consistently applied.
o All Principal and Key Risks arising from the above activities are proactively identified; assessed, controlled, reported, managed and contingency plans are developed as appropriate.
o Provide assurance that the system of internal control is operating as designed and effectively manages all Principal and Key risk types in accordance with Barclays Policies.
*Risk Culture: Responsible forembedding a clearly articulated risk culture within the function which reflects Barclays Purpose and Values.
- 10 years of experience in a roles involving data management and transformation/change of data and reporting
- 5 years demonstrated excellence with direct people leadership/management
- Bachelor’s degree in a mathematical and/or technology related field
- Subject-matter expertise in a highly specialized functional area such as Data Science, Machine Learning and Digital Analytics, with a special ability to appropriately combine marketing, financial, and statistical analytics methods with technology to build integrated solutions which drive business strategy and solve business problems.
- Ability to partner with business units effectively.
- Very strong strategic vision
**Track record of:
- Commercially proven, strategic innovations within a Financial Services organisation.
- High level of conceptual systems thinking that creates transformational innovations through synergies of new business models and new technologies.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to communicate and demonstrate to internal and external audiences on a wide range of topics.
- Inspirational leader with the ability to manage a significant number of professional and nonprofessional staff distributed internationally.
- Proven commitment on building capability across a workforce
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientati