Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Newark, DE 19716
University of Delaware
Job Title Maintenance Mechanic
Job ID 106311
Location Newark, DE
UNION: AFSCME Local 3472
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
DAYS OFF: Saturday & Sunday
General Statement of Duties:
Under minimal supervision performs a wide variety of skilled maintenance and repair tasks at the senior journeyman level in a variety of trades relating to the operation and maintenance of equipment and systems within all University buildings. Requires extensive and diverse knowledge across multiple trades including, but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, painting, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), and carpentry.
Examples of Work: (Illustrative Only)
• Maintains and repairs many types of maintenance equipment including, but not limited to HVAC, plumbing and structural.• Performs inspection, maintenance, repair and replacement of the following existing and/or new equipment: electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and door and window hardware as well as miscellaneous small carpentry work.
• Performs planned maintenance within all buildings.
• Performs plumbing fixture repair/replacement.
• Uses technology based systems to access email, input information, and receive work instructions and other administrative information including electronic payroll forms, work schedules and CMMS information.
• Ensures shop owned equipment is in proper working condition.
• Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Environmental Factors/Occupational Exposures:
• The primary physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in both extreme heat and cold conditions, as well as conditions that are wet/humid, dry and during times when temperatures are below 32°F for more than one-hour periods.
• Employee must lift, tug, pull, and transport, with or without assistance, both small and heavy equipment and material, as necessary.
• Employee is required to bend, squat or crouch, crawl, kneel, stoop, stretch and stand and/or work in cramped areas for prolonged periods of times while repairing equipment both at floor level, overhead, and/or in confined space areas.
• Environment may frequently include dust and/or airborne particles and occasionally loud noise, electricity/high voltage, chemicals, gases, fumes, and vibration. For this reason, employee is required to wear designated personal protective equipment to include, but not limited to, ANSI-approved safety eyewear, hardhats, gloves, hearing protection, full face shield, aprons and footwear to prevent exposures to hazardous materials, noise, dust and/or airborne particles.
• Specialized personal protective equipment may be required to access certain confined spaces.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience at a journeyman level in a combination of electrical, plumbing, structural, HVAC.
• Extensive knowledge of repair practices, tools, preventive maintenance and inspection, routine maintenance, repair and replacement tasks.
• Decision-making skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
• Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
• Ability to comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
Required Minimum Training and Experience:• High school diploma/GED with minimum of four (4) years journeyman experience in at least two of the three listed trades (electrical, plumbing, and HVAC) or any combination of training and/or experience to equal the same.
• A certificate of completion as a Type I and II technician as required by 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F, of the Federal Clean Air Act is required or ability to obtain this certification within 90 days from date of hire.
• Must be licensed by the State of Delaware to perform electrical service or electrical work.
• With or without assistance, must be able to exert 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects and job-related materials and/or equipment.
• Ability to accurately discern colors.
• Employee is required to climb stairs, use 12-ft ladders and 32-ft. aerial lifts, work on rooftops, work from scaffolding and high areas using appropriate harness and tether equipment, and use ramps and aerial lift devices above ground in order to work above floor level and/or in pits.
• Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license in order to drive University of Delaware vehicles to get to and from job sites.
• Non-allergic to solvents, gases, and chemicals commonly associated with refrigerant equipment; handling and storage of high-pressure gases.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/y9729kbqhs6j2byx