Mechanical Systems Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wilmington, DE 19806
Mechanical Systems Engineer (Job Number: 198832W-01)
The Global Engineering Technology (GET) team in DuPont’s Safety & Construction (S&C) business is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with machine design expertise to join us at our Wilmington, Delaware offices. The Safety & Construction business is home to iconic brands such as Corian®, Kevlar®, Nomex®, and Tyvek®, as well as innovative Water Solution and Performance Building Solution products. Members of GET provide critical engineering support to the design and enhancement of S&C manufacturing processes across the globe.
The Mechanical Systems Engineer will be responsible for the design of electromechanical machinery throughout S&C. Needs will range from the design of improvements to existing manufacturing machinery to the development of new, custom machinery as part of research and development activities or capital projects. With access to our world-class mechanical design and testing laboratories, the engineer will be responsible for taking machine concepts and transforming them into proof-of-principle designs, prototypes, and commercial-scale equipment.
Projects handled by the engineer will initially range from small (< $50 thousand) to medium (< $250 thousand) size in support of S&C facilities within the United States and abroad. The role is based in Wilmington, Delaware and will involve travel. Travel needs will vary but may occasionally be as high as 40%.
In addition, the individual will be responsible for:
• Developing first-of-a-kind custom machinery beginning with conceptualizing new equipment.
• Designing and conducting experiments and coordinating the collection and analysis of data to help in defining scope of programs and identifying problems with possible solutions.
• Performing engineering calculations to determine speeds, loads, and other data required for sizing equipment.
• Ensuring the accuracy, completeness, and practical feasibility of designs and specifications as well as adherence to applicable mechanical and safety standards.
• Effectively managing multiple programs with a focus on meeting commitments (cost and timing) while maintaining high quality work.
• Communicating project objectives and tasks clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing, to other people such as plant personnel, vendors, team members and leaders.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
• BS or MS (preferred) degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
• At least one year of focused experience in electromechanical machine design (can include co-op or intern experience). For recent college graduates, demonstrated strong academic performance in relevant engineering courses is required.
• Ability to keep a systems-level view of electromechanical equipment and the interactions of mechanical, electrical and controls disciplines.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, or aptitude for learning, computer aided machine design tools. Prior experience with Creo (formerly ProEngineer) is preferred.
• Ability to learn Finite Element Analysis tools (e.g., Creo Simulate) to conduct stress analyses.
• Knowledge of commercial fabricating techniques, machining practices, design capabilities, inspection processes, fastening systems, machine dynamics, system controls, surface finishes, safety, and internal and external support systems.
• Ability to work independently and to be self-motivated.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team member to develop equipment concepts that meet business needs.
Primary Location: NA-United States-Delaware-Wilmington
Organization: Safety & Construction
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Entry Level
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information. For US Applicants: See the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster.